Last Updated on February 28, 2022 by Anne-Sophie Reinhardt
There are many different and excellent articles that we researched that very succinctly lists the top ten (and more) states that are best suited to the living requirements of single moms and dads.
- 1 What are the best states for single moms?
- 2 Let’s break down our cities
- 3 What a wonderful country we single moms live in
What are the best states for single moms?
- Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Lansing, Michigan
- Austin, Texas
- Asheville, North Carolina
- Little Rock, Arkansas
- Wichita, Kansas
- Raleigh, North Carolina
- Omaha, Nebraska
- Huntsville, Alabama
- Naples, Florida
History of housing
Way back in the 50’s only just over 7% of households with children under 18 were single-parent households. Fast forward a few decades and single-parent homes are now over 30%.
This is what we took into account when researchint the best states for single moms:
- Budget/cost of living
- Commute time
- Average annual income
- Childcare costs
This article breaks down the states in more detail but as a high level…
Let’s break down our cities
From the bottom up – but it’s a short list!
Voted the happiest, healthiest city in the US offers lower than average child care costs and low unemployment. Although housing costs are more so is the income.
Need some more persuading? Naples offers:
- The Naples Winter Wine Festival which has been ranked by Wine Spectator Magazine the most successful charity wine festival since 2004
- More than 100 art galleries in the area earning it the name as the #1 Small Arts Town in America
- Many top tourist magazines have detailed more than 30 miles of beaches in Naples and names as some of the most desirable in the country.
Rocket City (as it hosts the US Space and Rocket center and NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center, is the 11th best place to live in the country due to its affordability (but over, according to our list above, 9th!)
Other interesting things about Huntsville:
- Home prices are low, as mentioned above, and child care is about half the national average.
- It’s an hours drive from Houston, which hours many professional sports teams
- Samual Walter Houston, a born slave, went on to make Huntsville his home and found the Gallielle Community School
Omaha offers an unusual schooling option, an open system that enables parents to choose the schooling option based on their children’s needs and interests and not per the neighbourhood as is standard.
We kid you not, but Omaha has:
- Been host to the US Olympic Swim Trials and held it again in 2020
- Warren Buffett calls it home and brings thousands of shareholders here every year for the Berkshire Hathaway Annual Meeting
- Bobbt Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge (most people call it Bob) is a 3000 foot bridge over the Missouri River, but the best part is the Bob Instagrams, Tweets and Vlogs!
Raleigh, North Carolina
The capital city is rich in low-to-no cost fun and recreational activities for families.
Single families are highly educated and earn 13.2% above the national average, hence why Forbes ranked Raleigh as the second-best place in the country for business and careers.
Did you know that Raleigh:
- It is a National historic landmark
- Founded in 1972 and named after the British Explorer, Sir Walter Raleigh
- Fomer Vice President of the US, Andrew Johnson, was born here and worked as a tailor.
Keen on saving time and money – this could be the place for you! Single parents take advantage of lower than average housing and childcare costs.
Coupled with a shorter average commute time of 7 minutes (it all adds up) AND 8 libraries that provide fun, cost-effective (again) educational programs. Pack your bags. You’re heading to Dorothy!
Fun facts about Wichita:
- Known as the air capital of the world
- Birthplace of Pizza Hut and White Castle fast-food chains
- Actress Kristie Alley – for anyone born before 1980 – was born here!
Little Rock, Arkansas
This town seems to focus on helping out single-parent families by paying just over $ 6 000 per year instead of the national average of more than $11 000.
You can stretch your salary further, making attractions like Little Rock Zoo, Museum of Discovery and Art Center Children’s Theater.
Some interesting facts that could sell this top-class town to you as well;
- Little Rock’s ‘Big Dam Bridge’ is the longest pedestrian and cyclist only bridge in the US. 8 miles long and connecting 14 miles of trails in Little Rock and North Little Rock
- Arkansas is the only US state that produces diamonds
- And the State flag has 25 stars on it to symbolize Arkansas being the 25th state
Asheville, North Carolina
Asheville Convention & Visitors Bureau said ‘families can enjoy exploring an 8 million-acre backyard with well-known attractions including Sliding Rock and Adventure Center.
With unemployment of just over 1% citizens also benefits from a cost of living 7% below the national average – pretty compelling stats for a single parent.
Interesting to know that:
- Asheville has five #1 box office films at least partially there, including: Last of the Mohicans, Hannibal, Nell and Forrest Gump
- The Biltmore House is the largest privately-owned house in America, with more than 35 bedrooms, 43 bathrooms, 3 kitchens and an indoor pool.
- One of the nation’s first electric street railways opened in Asheville in 1889. Some years later, a line was added to connect Biltmore Village with the courthouse to help with the transport of supplies and workers who assisted on the Biltmore Estate.
Referred to, sometimes, as the Sports Capital of Texas, Austin has masses to offer families and children with sports interests, hosting world-class sports facilities and many national tournaments.
Apparently 33% of single parents, nationally, hold a bachelor’s degree. This number is a whopping 49% in Austin, which means that single parents earn much more unsurprisingly.
Now this is worth knowing about Austin:
- It’s known for outstanding food, great live music venues, and it’s general weirdness (that’s good, btw!)
- Is one of the sunniest cities in America
- Over and above being called the ‘Live music capital of the World’ it’s also known as ‘Violet Crown City’ because of the purpley light that is cast over the hills on winter evenings
Education is key to this community. During 2017 East Lansing voters approved an almost $94 million school bond to rebuild and/or renovate six elementary schools demonstrating commitment to the city’s families.
What’s more Lansing offers single parents high wages ($9 000 above national median) and low living costs (8% below the national average)
Some ‘random’ facts about this gem of a place;
- Larry Page, co-founder of Google, was born in Lansing
- Lansing is the 16th brainiest city in America (see above bullet point)
- AND Lansing was the first city, in the US, to establish women’s history organisations
Drum roll, please … coming in at number one for the best states for single parents to live is …
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Once again, a firm focus on single parents earning more and paying less for child care is a big draw card for us all.
Ann Arbor boasts the University of Michigan and is a cornerstone of the local economy and draws students, researchers and other businesses to the community. In addition, the town is very culturally strong with museums, libraries, performing art groups and fairs – a very culturally diverse community.
Some interesting thoughts about this charming city include:
- You may find fairy doors everywhere- the charming, artistic and miniature doors at the Michigan Teater, Ann Arbor District Library, The Ark and a number of other locations in town
- They are known as Tree Town with more than 158 parks and 1.4 million trees
- As appointed by Bloomberg, one of the top techs is appointed because of the many tech programs and the headquarters of many startups and many large organisations like GoogleAdWorks, Duo Security and Cahoots.
What a wonderful country we single moms live in
Each state and town will have its own appeal and depend on your personal needs. What a magic country we have available to us – there are states available to suit all different single moms needs’ best.
Many of these cities also offer grants for single moms – check out the linked article and peruse the cities tha can help you meet your needs.