Financial Help For A Newly Divorced Woman

Last Updated on August 31, 2023 by Lori Pace

The standard of living of women falls by an average of 30% when they divorce. While women may make less than their husbands and may have less chance of obtaining custody of any children, they can earn more. Women could get alimony in the past. However, this is not the case today. A newly divorced woman might need financial assistance and help to get their feet back on the right track.

5 Financial Help Programs For A Newly Divorced Woman


Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Federally-sponsored) is a program that provides monthly support payments through tribal, state and territorial agencies to families with children. In some states, women may have to work or train in order to be eligible for TANF benefits. 

Women can only get TANF in some states for a short time. Women who are divorcing can apply to the welfare or social service office in their county.

Food Stamps

Many divorced women can purchase groceries with food stamps, also known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or SNAP in many areas. The program, similar to TANF but federally funded, is administered by state and local agencies. 

The amount of food stamps that a woman can get depends on the size of her household and her income. Food stamps can be used at many grocery stores to purchase many different foods. Women can apply for TANF at the same location as men.

Medicaid Help For A Newly Divorced Woman

Medicaid offers health insurance to many divorcing women with low incomes and children. It is only available to families with children, the elderly, and disabled. This means that not all women who have divorced can apply for Medicaid. The same place where you apply for food stamps and TANF is also a good place to apply.

Child Care Vouchers

Childcare vouchers are available to low-income mothers who have been divorced. These vouchers allow them to pay for licensed childcare services while they work. While women may need to cover a portion of the childcare costs, vouchers will pay the majority. 

Mothers who have been divorced can apply for child care at the same location they apply for TANF or food stamps.

Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers

Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers may be available to divorcées with low incomes. The vouchers can be used to pay rent at any residence where the landlord accepts them. This gives them many options for where they live and how they want to raise their children. 

While women may need to contribute a portion of the rent cost, the vouchers cover the majority. There are many other housing assistance programs that single mothers can apply for when needed.

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!