Get Help Paying Electric Bills – For Single Moms

Last Updated on October 4, 2023 by Lori Pace

Are you a single mom struggling to pay your electric bills? Don’t worry, help is available.

This article will provide information on various programs and resources that can assist you in paying your electric bills and reducing your energy costs. Whether you’re looking for financial assistance, energy-saving tips, or access to community resources, we’ve got you covered.

First, let’s explore some of the government programs that can help you with your electric bills. The LIHEAP Energy Assistance Programs and Weatherization Assistance Programs provide financial assistance and energy-efficient upgrades to eligible households.

Additionally, many utility companies offer assistance programs designed to help low-income customers, so contact your local utility company for more information. Furthermore, the FHA PowerSaver Home Energy Retrofit Loan Program and Energy Efficient Mortgage Insurance can provide you with loans and insurance options to make energy-saving improvements to your home.

Aside from government programs, local charities, community action groups, and churches may offer financial assistance to help you pay your electric bills. These organizations understand the challenges single moms face and are dedicated to providing support in times of need. In addition to financial assistance, they may also offer other resources such as energy-saving workshops or free energy-saving products.

Remember, you are not alone in this journey, and there are people and programs out there ready to help you navigate through any financial difficulties and reduce your energy costs. 

LIHEAP Energy Assistance Programs

If you’re a single mom, you might be delighted to know that LIHEAP Energy Assistance Programs are available to help you pay those electric bills.

These programs are specifically designed to provide financial assistance to low-income households, including single mothers, who struggle to cover their utility bills.

LIHEAP, which stands for Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program, is a federal program that works with utility companies to support needy families.

By considering your household income and energy bills, LIHEAP can provide you with the necessary assistance to alleviate the burden of high electric bills.

So, if you struggle to make ends meet, don’t hesitate to contact LIHEAP for help managing your utility expenses.

Weatherization Assistance Programs

Weatherization Assistance Programs can assist single mothers in lowering their electric bills. If you’re a low-income single mom struggling to meet your energy costs, these programs can provide you with the necessary help.

These programs focus on improving your home’s energy efficiency, helping you reduce your utility bills. By making your home more energy-efficient, you can save money on your utility bills in the long run.

Weatherization assistance programs can offer various services, such as insulation, weather stripping, and energy-saving appliances. They may also provide financial assistance programs, including rent or utility assistance.

Take advantage of these resources to alleviate the burden of high energy costs and ensure a more comfortable living environment for you and your family. Reach out to your local weatherization assistance program or energy company to explore your options. 

Utility Company Assistance Programs

Utility companies offer various assistance programs that can provide financial relief and support to low-income individuals and families struggling with their energy expenses. These programs are designed to help low-income households, including low-income parents, single parents, low-income women, low-income pregnant women, and low-income single mothers.

The utility company assistance programs aim to assist these individuals and families in managing their electric bills by offering payment arrangements and other forms of financial assistance. By partnering with their energy provider, low-income individuals and families can access these programs and receive the support they need to alleviate the financial burden of their energy expenses.

Apart from the partnership of energy providers with federal programs like LIHEAP, most companies also offer utility bill forgiveness and free home energy audits or assessments.  Ensure to contact your local energy company to check the availability of such programs. 

FHA PowerSaver Home Energy Retrofit Loan Program

The FHA PowerSaver Home Energy Retrofit Loan Program offers a valuable opportunity for homeowners, including low-income families and single moms, to enhance their energy efficiency and reduce their monthly expenses.

This government-backed loan program provides financial aid and assistance to households experiencing an energy crisis. By participating in this program, homeowners can access government grants and loans to make energy-efficient home upgrades, such as installing insulation, upgrading heating and cooling systems, and improving overall energy efficiency.

The program aims to alleviate the burden of high electric bills and support those in need. It is an excellent resource for single moms and low-income families who are looking for ways to lower their energy costs and improve their living conditions. 

Energy Efficient Mortgage Insurance

Improve your home’s energy efficiency and save money with the Energy Efficient Mortgage Insurance program. This program offers loans specifically designed for installing energy-efficient features in your home. By taking advantage of this program, you can reduce your utility bills and create a more comfortable living environment for you and your family.

The Energy Efficient Mortgage Insurance program is a great option for single moms looking for help paying their electric bills while also making long-term home improvements. In addition to saving money on energy costs, this program can also help you qualify for affordable housing and permanent housing options.

Making your home more energy efficient can create a more sustainable living situation for you and your children. Contact the Federal Housing Administration office or an approved lender to learn more about eligibility criteria and the Energy Efficient Mortgage Insurance program application process. With this program, you can take steps toward financial stability and create a brighter future for your family. 

Dollar Energy Fund

Lower your monthly expenses and find financial support with the Dollar Energy Fund, a program that provides assistance to individuals like you who are struggling to keep up with their energy costs. The Dollar Energy Fund is specifically designed to help low-income individuals, including single moms, who struggle to pay their electric bills.

This program offers payment assistance to eligible households and ensures that families do not have their electric service disconnected due to their financial situation. With the help of the Dollar Energy Fund, you can receive the support you need to alleviate the burden of high monthly bills and maintain a stable and comfortable living environment for you and your children.

By taking advantage of the Dollar Energy Fund, you can ease the stress of managing your electric bills and ensure that your energy costs are covered, allowing you to focus on providing for your family.  

Local Charities and Community Action Groups

Discover the network of local charities and community action groups in your area, where neighbors come together to support each other and create positive change.

These organizations understand single moms’ challenges and offer various services to help meet their needs. In addition to providing assistance with electric bills, these groups can also help with other essential expenses such as food stamps, dental care, medical care, and temporary assistance.

Some of the most well-known agencies include The Salvation Army and the Modest Needs. These community action agencies and charitable organizations work tirelessly to ensure that single moms can access the resources they need to thrive. Whether it’s legal assistance or finding affordable housing, these groups are there to provide guidance and support.

Don’t hesitate to contact these local charities and community action groups for help navigating the various programs and services available. 

Churches or Faith-Based Agencies

Are you looking for extra support with your energy expenses? Churches and faith-based agencies in your community have resources and services available to assist families like yours. Organizations like the Catholic Charities and the Society of St. Vincent de Paul offer various assistance, including financial aid, utility bill grants, and even programs to improve your home’s energy efficiency.

In addition to helping with energy expenses, churches and faith-based agencies can also provide support in other areas, such as legal assistance, foreclosure assistance, cash assistance, food banks, and college grants. They are there to help you navigate the application process for benefit programs like Pell Grants and unemployment benefits and can offer guidance and resources from the federal government.

Reach out to these organizations in your community to see how they can assist you in easing the burden of your electric bills and provide the support you need to thrive. 

Eligibility Requirements for Electricity Bill Assistance

Make sure you meet the eligibility requirements for electricity bill assistance to receive the support you need to manage your monthly expenses.

Eligible families can apply for assistance through various social services programs the federal government offers. These programs provide different types of assistance, including utility bill assistance.

To qualify for electricity bill assistance, you may need to meet certain income guidelines or demonstrate a financial need. Gathering all the necessary documents and information before starting the application process is important.

By understanding and meeting the eligibility requirements, you can access the help you need to alleviate the burden of high electricity bills. 

Energy Saving Tips to Help Lower Electricity Costs

Start saving on your electricity costs today by implementing these energy-saving tips. Every dollar counts as a single mom, and reducing your electricity bill can significantly affect your monthly expenses.

One of the first things you can do is contact your electric company and inquire about any energy assistance programs they offer. Many utility companies have programs specifically designed to help low-income families, including single moms, with their electricity bills. In addition to that, there are also government programs that provide financial assistance for utility bills.

Along with seeking help paying your bills, there are also simple life hacks you can implement to save energy and lower your electricity costs. For instance, turning off lights and unplugging electronics when not in use, using energy-efficient light bulbs, adjusting your thermostat, and properly insulating your home can all make a big difference.

Incorporating these energy-saving tips into your daily routine can reduce your electricity costs and contribute to a more sustainable and eco-friendly lifestyle. 

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I determine if I am eligible for assistance through the LIHEAP program?

To find out if you are eligible for LIHEAP assistance, contact your local or state LIHEAP office. They can provide you with more details on the eligibility criteria and assist you with the application process.

What types of energy-efficient features or improvements are eligible for loans through the FHA PowerSaver Home Energy Retrofit Loan Program?

The FHA PowerSaver Home Energy Retrofit Loan Program provides loans for energy-efficient home features such as solar panels, insulation, HVAC systems, and energy-efficient windows. These improvements can help lower utility bills and make your home more environmentally friendly.

How can I find out if my utility company offers any assistance programs for electric bills?

To find out if your utility company offers electric bill assistance programs, visit their website or call their customer service line. They can provide information on available programs and eligibility requirements.

Are there any local organizations or resources that provide assistance with electric bills specifically for single mothers in my area?

Yes, there are local organizations that provide assistance with electric bills specifically for single mothers in your area. Contact churches, community action agencies, and organizations like The Salvation Army and Catholic Charities for help. 


In conclusion, you don’t have to face the burden of high electric bills alone as a single mom. There are numerous organizations and programs available to provide the assistance you need.

The LIHEAP Energy Assistance Program can help you with financial aid to cover your electricity costs, while the Weatherization Assistance Program can offer home improvements that increase energy efficiency and lower bills.

Utility Company Assistance Programs are another valuable resource, as they often provide discounted rates or payment plans for eligible individuals. The FHA PowerSaver Home Energy Retrofit Loan Program and Energy Efficient Mortgage Insurance offer options for financing energy-efficient upgrades to your home, helping you save money in the long run.

Local charities, community action groups, churches, and faith-based agencies are also crucial in supporting single mothers with their electric bills. These organizations understand your challenges and are dedicated to helping you maintain a stable and comfortable home environment for you and your children.

To qualify for electricity bill assistance, make sure to check the eligibility requirements of each program or organization. However, implementing energy-saving tips in your daily life is always a good idea, regardless of your current situation. Simple actions like turning off lights when not in use, using energy-efficient appliances, and properly insulating your home can significantly lower your electricity costs.

Remember, you’re not alone in this journey. Reach out to these resources, explore your options, and take advantage of the support available to you. Together, we can ensure that you and your children have a brighter and more stable future.

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!