Grants for Single Mothers in Alabama

Although often looked down, single mothers are the most hardworking and caring sector of society, however, sometimes it’s hard to make ends meet and achieve the things you want to achieve, but this is where grants come in handy for single mothers living in the state of Alabama.

Women, Infants and Children (WIC)

The WIC or The Women, Infants, and Children is a supplemental nutrition program in the state of Alabama. This grant helps the families of single mothers.
Single mothers who are pregnant, have children that are 5 years old or younger, and/or breastfeeding are qualified recipients of the grant.

You’ll need to meet the qualifications and get approved in the nearest WIC clinic in Alabama.  To get started, contact the closest county health department in your area, or call 1-800-252-1818.

Unemployment Compensation (UC)

Unemployment can be a scary thing for single mothers but you shouldn’t worry because the state of Alabama can help you get back on your feet with the Unemployment Compensation (UC) grant.

Give a call to the Unemployment Compensation (UC) Office for more information and to file a claim, you can reach them at (334) 242-8025 or at 1-866-234-5382, or you can visit the department’s website for to check your eligibility.

ALL Kids

Ease your worries when it comes to providing health insurance to your kids with the CHIP (Children’s Health Insurance) program that’s affordable for single mothers. Your children can benefit from getting check ups in the doctor’s office, dentist’s office, and even get vision checkups all at a low cost.

You can apply online or in print and submit it to your local county health department, you may also give them a call at 1-833-373-Kids (5437).

Education Support Award

Each year, the Patsy Takemoto Mink Education Foundation gives out five (5) awards worth $5,000 to qualifying families who need support in education. Visit their website to learn more about the awards and download the application.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is a grant available to eligible students with the greatest financial need.

To avail of this grant at the University of Alabama, simply contact the Student Financial Aid office by phone at 1-205-348-6756 or 1-855-469-2262.

Federal Pell Grant

Although on a first come, first serve basis to single mothers, the Federal Pell Grant is a great resource to single mothers who want to pursue and/or continue their education.
Your EFC (Expected Family Contribution) determines the amount of money you receive.

Simply call (334) 844-4634 to learn more through the Student Financial Aid office at Auburn University. You may also fill out the free application form for FAFSA (or the Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to see if you qualify.

Alabama Student Assistance Program (ASAP)

Another grant single mothers who want to continue their education is the ASAP or the Alabama Student Assistance Program, the amount of need varies from $300 to $5000 each year.
You may call the Alabama Commission on Higher Education (ACHE) at (334) 242-2273 for more information, and/or assistance with the program.

Alabama Family Assistance Program

The state of Alabama has a Family Assistance Division that provides temporary cash assistance and job training. To receive assistance by applying for The Family Assistance Program and/or the JOBS program, simply download and fill out your Family Assistance application online.

You may also contact the Alabama Department of Human Resources (DHR) by email or give them a call at (334) 242-1773 or (334) 242-1950.

Alabama Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

The DHR has a Food Assistance Division that distributes the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). You must qualify based on income and family size, and then, you can apply online or mail in the application. 

To find the closest DHR county office near you, visit the DHR website, or email the Food Assistance Program or call them at (334) 242-1700.

Child Care Subsidy

The state of Alabama also provides subsidized child care funds through the Child Care and Development Fund (CCDF). You can check the eligibility requirements and download an application on the DHR site.

You may also call 1-866-528-1694 or (334) 242-1425 to ask about the program or send an email to for more information.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Scroll to Top