Grants for Single Mothers in Alaska

Living as a single mother is already a  full-time job itself. But that doesn’t mean that you should struggle alone, take advantage of the assistance that is given to you by the federal U.S. government and the Alaskan state government.

AlaskAdvantage Education Grant (AEG)

The state of Alaska provides the (AEG) or the AlaskAdvantage Education Grant  based on individual need. The grant amount varies from $500 to $3,000 for each year of attendance, however, funds are limited and given out in order of need.

To check if you are eligible, apply for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by contacting your school’s financial aid office for more information.

Unemployment Insurance (UI) Program

The UI Program (Unemployment Insurance) in the state of Alaska is designed to help unemployed single mothers, especially those who are working part-time.
To apply for this grant, simply file for benefits online.

You may also contact the Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development for further assistance, or call the Alaska Job Center Network at (877) 724-2539 (toll-free) or visit the closest center to you.

Heating Assistance (HAP) Program

Winter can be a difficult time, especially if you have a lot of things to juggle but worry not with the Heating Assistance Program (HAP), this grant helps families who meet the federal poverty income requirements. Starting October 1, you can apply at the WIC Office, go to the closest Department of Public Assistance Office, or by simply visiting the Alaska state government website.

The Alaska Department of Health and Social Services (DHSS) can also help you with your needs. For questions about eligibility or assistance with your application, contact 1-800-470-3058 or

Parents Achieving Self Sufficiency (PASS)

The state of Alaska has a Child Care Assistance Program known as PASS or Parents Achieving Self Sufficiency. Eligible single mothers must be employed or enrolled in school to get this grant.

To check if you are eligible for this grant, contact the DHSS office online or you can contact a Child Care Program Office (CCPO) at or 1-888-268-4632.

Denali KidCare – Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)

Providing health care to your kids can be a daunting task especially in this pandemic, however, that shouldn’t hinder you from keeping your children healthy and safe. Denali KidCare can help your child receive healthcare. Denali KidCare is the Children’s Health Insurance Program in Alaska or also known as CHIP.

To apply for this grant, simply head on over to their website and view your income requirements, or you may also contact your local public assistance or DHSS office.

Temporary Assistance Program (ATAP) for single mothers

Moving out or in a tight spot? The Alaska Temporary Assistance Program (ATAP) gives temporary cash to mothers of eligible families. Head on over to their website, and review the eligibility requirements and funding limitations online. Simply download the application online then fax or mail it to a public assistance office near you.

SNAP (FOOD STAMPS) for single mothers

Did you exceed your budget this month? Or do you need a  little extra to get by? Worry not because SNAP (also known as food stamps or the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program)is here to save the day! SNAP is provided to low-income residents in Alaska. To learn more about the program, and see if you qualify and/or apply online. A SNAP specialist can be reached at (844) 222-3119 or

General Relief Assistance (GRA)

Another grant single mothers can benefit from is the General Relief Assistance (GRA), it assists you with all of your basic necessities like food, shelter, and even burials!
However, eligibility is based on age, residency, and your level of need.
To check your eligibility and see if you qualify for a grant, download an application form online or contact your local district office for more information.


Medicaid is another form of assistance from the federal government. For those who don’t know, Medicaid is a form of federal healthcare program available through the Division of Public Assistance. To find out if you are eligible for Medicaid, give them a call at (907) 644-6800 or 1-800-770-5650. To learn more about Medicaid, give them a call at (907) 465-3347 or send them an email at, so that you can make an appointment to receive Medicaid.

You may also visit your local DHSS Office to learn more about Medicaid

Permanent Fund Dividend (PFD)

Single mothers can make a little extra cash with the Permanent Fund Dividend (PFD). The PFD is an annual payment related to Alaska’s mineral profits, receive an annual dividend based on the amounts of your mineral royalties. To see if you are eligible for the PFD, head on the Alaska Department of Revenue PFD website to learn more.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Scroll to Top