Grants for Single Mothers in Arkansas

In Arkansas there are lots of opportunities available for low-income individuals. We have made a list of current programs relevant to single mothers who qualify due to low-income.

Single Parent Scholarship

The Single Parent Scholarship is a great option for single mothers. You can check out if you qualify for the Scholarship. On the Arkansas Single Parent Scholarship Fund site, find your relevant county and fill in an application at the local county office.

Higher Education Opportunities Grant (GO! Grant)

The Arkansas Department of Higher Education (ADHE) have the Higher Education Opportunities Grant (GO! Grant) aimed at low-income students in general. As a single mother you might qualify for this. You can review your requirements, which are based on residency and current enrollment status, if eligible, you can get approved. Remember to apply before June 1st.

If you want to know more about the grants, you can call the ADHE financial aid office at (800) 54STUDY or (501) 371-2050 – Alternatively, you can message them, through the contact form on their website.

Unemployment Insurance (UI)

In the Arkansas Department of Workforce Services (DWS) there is an opportunity to get Unemployment Insurance (UI), if you are an unemployed single mother. Go to the DWS website to file for a claim. You can see your eligibility and check the status of your current claim.

Call (501) 907-2590 or (866) 392-7284 if you want any unemployment claim help or assistance.


The Arkansas Department of Human Services (DHS) also has a Child Care Assistance program aimed at single mothers. We recommend you check out the eligibility requirements, that the DHS have listed on their website. You can also download the application form online as well.

To get any funds, you must be contacted by a Program Eligibility Specialist. If you arent contacted, you will be placed on a waiting list initially.

You can get hold of the DHS office in Arkansas, their phone number is (501) 682-1001. Alternatively, you can send an email through the form on their website.

You can get the Division of Child Care and Early Childhood Education, their number is (501) 682-8590 or you can send them a fax at (501) 682-2317.

ARKids First

ARKids First has great Medicaid programs for kids living with low-income single mothers. To understanding if you qualify for the benefits, Apply on their website or submit a physical application at the DHS office near you.

You can ask for more info on the ARKids First site. ARKids can also be reached at toll free at 1-888-474-8275.


In the state of Arkansas, there are Medicaid programs for low-income families, including ARKids First. You can see all of the possible benefits you can qualify for. You should apply online, then download an application or call 1-888-474-8275 to request one. You can also see a listing of Arkansas Department of Human Services county offices near you.

Women, Infants and Children (WIC)

Women, Infants and Children (WIC) are for single women with very young kids. This program helps single mother by providing nutrition and breastfeeding advice.

You can call the WIC office in Little Rock at (501) 661-2508. You can also Contact the Arkansas DHS office at (501) 661-2000 or (800) 462-0599.

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is available for low-income Arkansas residents. Check if you qualify to receive benefits, this program is mainly based on the family income level. You can fill out an application on their website or you can email it to your local DHS county office.

Contact 1-800-482-8988 or visit your DHS office in person.


DWS has a Transitional Employment Assistance (TEA) program that helps with temporary cash assistance for single mothers or pregnant women.

You should also check the Arkansas Work Pays program for TEA recipients. You can call DWS at 1-855-225-4440 or 501-682-2121 or email them at

Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)

Arkansas also has a Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) that helps single mothers pay their monthly utility bills. You can apply online or download the application and see if you qualify. You can also read more about HEAP on the DHS website. Alternatively, you can also contact your local Community Action Agency.

If you are a low-income single mother living in Arkansas, there are several assistance programs and grants that you might qualify for. Applying for a grant doesn’t guarantee you get it. If you are struggling, you should apply wherever relevant to put yourself in the best possible position to take care of your kid(s).

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Scroll to Top