Georgia assistance for single moms

Grants for Single Mothers in Georgia

Last Updated on June 2, 2021 by

Single moms in the state of Georgia need not worry as there are many grants and assistance programs that can help single-parent or low-income families.

In this article, you’ll find a couple of ready and willing resources to help the community and help single-parent families. However, if you’re looking for the city of Atlanta or grants for single mothers in another state, follow the provided links.

Georgia Single Moms Assistance

Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)

WIC or the Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) is a federal program that serves low-income children all over the state of  Georgia. Mothers can receive advice on nutrition and the benefits of buying healthy foods. An eligibility assessment test is available on the Department of Public Health website.

Find a WIC clinic near you or call 1-800-228-9173 to ask about services.

PeachCare for Kids

Another program is PeachCare for Kids, and it is for children from low-income households who cannot obtain Medicaid but still meet the federal poverty income poverty levels.
You can go to your local community health center for more information or call them at (800) 822-2539.

Childcare and Parent Services (CAPS) for single mothers

The Division of Family and Children Services (DFCS) has CAPS or the Childcare and Parent Services.
This program pays for childcare if you belong to a low-income household.
You can apply for CAPS through the COMPASS website, call the CAPS state office at (404) 651-9954, reach the DECAL CAPS services at (404) 657-3434 or [email protected]


Medicaid in Georgia has several programs and services to help single-parent households.  Apply for Medicaid through COMPASS or Order an application at (877) 423-4746 or pick one up at a DFCS office.

Know which Medicaid program is suitable for you. Call Right from the Start Medical Assistance Group at (800) 809-7276 or contact a local RSM office.

Free/Reduced Priced Lunch (FRL)

Eligible kids can have free or low-cost access to lunch meals through the Free/Reduced Priced Lunch (FRL) program. To apply for the program, you’ll need to meet the income guidelines and/or receive public assistance.
You may also apply for free school meals by contacting your local state agency.

Food Stamps

SNAP or the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, also known as the Georgia Food Stamp Program, provides state-funded food assistance.
To determine your eligibility, download an application or request one at (877) 423-4746 or call their hotline at 1-800-221-5689, or you may also stop by your local DCFS office to get an application form.

TANF cash assistance

TANF or the Temporary Assistance to Needy Families is available in the Division of Family and Children Services (DFCS).
The eligibility requirements are based on age, income, and work status.
Find the nearest county DFCS office in your area and apply.


UI or Unemployment Insurance from the Georgia Department of Labor is another program single mothers can benefit from.
You can file a claim online or stop by the local career center.

You may also reach the UI Customer Service at (404) 232-3001 or (877) 709-8185.

HOPE Grant for single mothers

Single mothers who want to pursue their education can also apply for the HOPE Grant from the Georgia Student Finance Commission (GSFC).
Qualified students must be enrolled in a diploma or certificate program; however, you may need to check if your college or university is associated with the program before applying for the grant.

Fill out the FAFSA or the Free Application for Federal Student Aid or the Georgia Scholarship/Grant Application (GSFAPPS) through your school’s financial aid office.

You may also reach out to the GSFC customer service hotline at (800) 505-4732. However, you may contact the general information call center at (800) 505-4732 or send them an email at [email protected]

HOPE GED Grant for single mothers

Finally, our last grant in Geaorgia is the HOPE GED Grant.
It is provided to recipients of the General Education Development (GED). The $500 award is also used to pay for the tuition and school fees of the recipient.

In conclusion, you may contact the GSFC customer service at (800) 505-4732 or send them an email at [email protected] for more information regarding the program.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top