Single Moms Grants and Assistance in Massachusetts

Grants for Single Mothers in Massachusetts

Last Updated on May 17, 2021 by

Massachusetts is a state that cares because it provides its single moms and low-income family with the assistance they need. In this article, we assist Massachusetts single moms in locating and applying for state grants to pay their monthly bills.

However, if you’re looking for the city of Boston or another state’s grants for single moms, follow the appropriate links.

Massachusetts Single Moms Assistance Programs

Massachusetts MASSGrant

The MASSGrant gets funds from the Massachusetts State Legislature. They help undergraduate students finish their studies at a Massachusetts tertiary institution. However, awards are given out based on the student’s family’s commitment and the university where they are enrolled.

To see whether you or your child are eligible for compensation, call the Office of Student Financial Assistance at 617-391-6070.

Part-Time Grant Program

The Massachusetts Department of Education has a Part-Time Grant Program that provides financial support to adults who choose to finish their studies part-time. Single moms who want to apply for financial aid can contact the Office of Student Financial Assistance at 617-391-6070.

Transitional Aid to Families with Dependent Children

If low-income families with minor children meet income and job requirements, the TAFDC program will provide them with temporary cash loans. You can contact the Health and Human Services office at 617-727-5608 to apply for a short-term cash loan.

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program

If single moms choose to participate in the federally sponsored “food stamps” program, they will apply for SNAP benefits. This service would provide them with electronic benefits that you can use to pay for food at participating grocery stores. To find out if your family qualifies for SNAP payments, call the DTA at 1-877-382-2363.

Women, Infants, and Children

WIC supports pregnant and breastfeeding mothers. They also support children up to the age of five as special nutrition and basic healthcare assistance programs. Contact the WIC Office at 1-800-951-1007 to request to be a WIC member.


The Massachusetts Medicaid program will provide single mothers with the ability to ensure that their family receives low-cost or no-cost medical and dental care. They merged traditional Medicaid benefits with the Children’s Health Insurance Program under MassHealth (CHIP). If you want to learn more or register for MassHealth services, contact the MassHealth Customer Service Center at 1-800-841-2900.

DTA Child Care

The Department of Transitional Assistance provides a Child Care service to low-income families who need assistance with childcare costs. Single mothers who meet the income and job criteria can contact the Child Care Resource and Referral Network at 1-800-345-0131 to see whether they qualify for assistance.

Head Start and Early Head Start

The Massachusetts Head Start Association provides Head Start and Early Head Start programs for children and their families. Families with infants and toddlers may apply for assistance with their child’s treatment by calling the MHSA Office at 508-561-7965.

In conclusion, we hope that this page has shown single mothers in Massachusetts that there are various grants available. Moreover, we hope to help them provide a healthier lifestyle for themselves and their children.

Scroll to Top