Hennepin County healthcare, rent, and public assistance for single moms.

Grants for Single Mothers in Minneapolis and Saint Paul

Last Updated on January 16, 2022 by

In Hennepin County, Minnesota, citizens of Minneapolis and Saint Paul can get grants in healthcare, rent assistance, and training programs. This article explores the many charities managed by both state and non-profit organizations that help provide these essential services.

We know there are different essentials to attain when you are a single mother. Firstly, financial assistance is often needed since many single mothers are low-income earners. Secondly, there are challenges like childcare, mortgage payment, and utility bills requiring attention.

There are grants available for single mothers and you can search for available resources in their area. Here are some services in Hennepin County, such as healthcare and rent assistance, available to single mothers in Minnesota for the support they need:

Hennepin County: Healthcare, rent assistance, and more

Minneapolis and St. Paul, MN

Minneapolis Employment & Training Assistance Program

There are many forms of training and job programs developed and operated by the Minneapolis Employment and Training Program (METP). These programs intend to support adults, teenagers, and even employers in the Minneapolis area of Minneapolis. You can find more information about this service by calling (651) 642-0363.

The Minneapolis Dislocated Worker Program provides residents who may have lost their jobs due to company closures, reorganizations, or permanent layoffs with training and employment services. This program will help them transition to a new profession or employment.

Adult courses can benefit low-income households and individuals. The curriculum will help seek work or obtain training that will contribute to a job or career.

The Individual Referral Program assists students with funding and grants for assistance and tuition. It will also support families with limited pay and people who are finding employment-related training. With student loans, qualified residents can even receive support.

Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Minneapolis and St Paul

The Catholic Charities provide many services. One of these services includes financial emergency relief for heating costs, rent payments, and electricity. They can also provide counseling and case management. They can also make referrals to many other local charities and non-profit organizations to guide individuals. This includes state services from the federal government and Minnesota.

They provide additional programs such as Hispanic Outreach, Family Support Center, Hope Street Shelter, Homeless Prevention, Food Shelves, School-Based Therapy Services, and so much more. To get more details, you can call this number: 612-664-8500.

The Salvation Army 

The Salvation Army provides disaster and emergency relief services at two sites in Hennepin County. They plan many benefits for low-income citizens, single mothers, and senior citizens. Also, there are food pantries, heating, transport or gas vouchers, and energy bill assistance.

Some seasonal assistance is available – this includes free Thanksgiving and Christmas meals. Unique gifts, school supplies, and, thrift shops and many more. Thousands of people annually assist the Minneapolis centers.

Besides that, the Salvation Army Minneapolis and Hennepin County’s resource targets are fixed-income elderly, disabled people, and households with urgent needs. Some workshops include Fresh Start money management and budgeting courses. Qualified families, single moms, and individuals may obtain free winter coats, clothing coupons, and furniture from thrift stores.

At designated locations, a food pantry is available on-site. They also have baby products for qualified pregnant women and single mothers, including formula and diapers—seasonal services even function, which include Thanksgiving and Easter holiday programs. At 651-746-3400, you can call them for more information.

City Life Center

You will find the City Life Center at 55408 1909 Nicollet Avenue South in Minneapolis.

They offer some support to pregnant women who have short-term difficulties and help with baby items, such as diapers and clothing. With referrals to other services, they may assist. To find out, you may call the department at 612-874-1808.

Human Services and Public Health Department of Hennepin County

For low-income households, single mothers, and people, this organization may be of generous support. The services they provide are:

  • Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA)
  • Diversionary Work Program (DWP)
  • General Assistance (GA)
  • Health Care Programs
  • and Emergency Programs Food Support
  • Low-income housing Section 8
  • Minnesota Family Investment Program Application
  • Recertification Interviews (MFIP)

Individuals with community-specific guidance and referrals to charities and non-profits agencies are one of their priorities in assisting. You may call them at (612) 596 – 1300 or go to their address at 6840 78th Ave N, Brooklyn Park, Minnesota, 55445.

There are numerous other government aid programs available for low-income locals and households, in addition to the services mentioned above.

St. Stephen’s Human Services, Inc.

This organization will provide rent assistance to single or married locals, provided that the household has no minor children. It may also assist individuals who have a child younger than 17. They also provide a computer laboratory with complete connections and computers to job banks.

Aside from that, help with paying tuition, transportation, materials, childcare, or other expenses is also possible. They are situated at 2309 Nicollet Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55404. By calling (612)767-4446, you can request more information.

Scroll to Top