Grants for Single Mothers in West Virginia

Low-income families in the state of West Virginia can benefit from a lot of resources from the federal government to help them get by by applying for grants. The following are organizations in the state of West Virginia that are able to help out single mothers.


Temporary cash assistance which can last for 5 years can be given to qualified families when they apply for the WV WORKS program.
The WV WORKS is the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program in West Virginia. To benefit from this program, apply on the inROADS website or contact the nearest Department of Health and Human Resources (DHHR) office in your area. You can also reach them at (304) 558-0628 for general questions and assistance.


Another benefit single mothers can claim is SNAP or the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program for West Virginia. To apply, check your eligibility by applying online through inROADS or by contacting the nearest DHHR office in your area.


Pregnant and breastfeeding single mothers can benefit from the West Virginia WIC program.
To apply for this grant, go to the nearest WIC office in your area. You may also contact the WIC Office of Nutrition Services at (304) 558-0030 or


Another source of benefits in the WV Medicaid. This is West Virginia’s main source of medical assistance for low-income families, they cover a wide range of services.
To apply for benefits, visit their website or call 1-877-716-1212. You can also visit the closest DHHR office in your area.

You can also contact their call center at 1-800-318-2596, if you have more questions.


CHIP or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (also known as as WV CHIP) is a program for West Virginians, it offers affordable health care for children. To benefit from this grant, you can apply online or over the phone at 1-877-716-1212. You can also reach out to their helpline number if you have questions regarding your eligibility or questions about the program itself.


Another program the state of West Virginia that helps single mothers cover their daily or weekly childcare costs is the Child Care Assistance Program. To qualify for the program, you’ll need to meet federal poverty income level. You can apply for child care benefits online or get in touch with the closest Child Care Resource and Referral Center (CCR&R)

Higher Education Grant

Low-income students from low-income households can benefit from the West Virginia Higher Education Grant.  To be considered for the grant, you’ll need to fill out your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) before October 1. You can also contact the Financial Aid Office at the College Foundation of West Virginia by calling them at (877) 987-7664 or (304) 558-4618.

Unemployment Insurance

Unemployment insurance benefits are given to eligible candidates. Single mothers may qualify if they have worked recently and are actively looking for work. Apply at the closest WorkForce WV office in your area. Contact WorkForce at 1-800-252-JOBS.

LIHEAP & Weatherization

Some programs assist you to reduce your energy bills and/or weatherize your home. The Low Income Energy & Heating Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is one program, and the weatherization program is the other. Through the West Virginia Office of Economic Opportunity, locate the LIHEAP agency and the weatherization assistance program in the county where you live.

Head Start

West Virginia Head Start has educational, healthcare and family-oriented programs for children. Apply at the Head Start program in or near your city. The WV Head Start Association is reachable at (304) 233-4450 or

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Scroll to Top