Help for Single Mothers in Alaska

Last Updated on January 31, 2024 by Lori Pace

Alaska’s economy is heavily dependent on the exploitation and growth of oilfields in the region. Alaska is dependent on oil and mining for its financial future. The public sector, services, commerce, and transport are the main sources of employment in Alaska. Single mothers in Alaska, like elsewhere in the nation, have access to numerous programs that can be applied to help improve their situation as sole breadwinners. These programs can, in part, help to reduce the economic woes of the mother and her children.

Alaska is known for its extremely cold temperatures and is the most populated state in the nation. Single mothers in Alaska need more support from the local government than in other areas of the United States. Are you in need of assistance with your rent and utility bills? Are you in need of housing and financial assistance? Do you have questions about child support? These resources can help you find the resources you need and how you can benefit from them.

Food Stamps Program

This program is designed to provide support for single low-income mothers and their children, who can get food using coupons that were created. The federal government funds 100 percent of the food stamp benefits. The state pays half of the costs associated with operating the Alaska Food Stamp Program. The state has eliminated paper coupons from the program and replaced them with Alaska Quest cards. Through this card, the Public Assistance Division distributes food stamps. The family’s income will determine how much money is allocated to each member of the family. After they join the program, the beneficiaries can use the coupons in any of the Alaskan stores that have been assigned to them. To register or for more information, call the following number: 907-465-33335. 

Summer Food Service Program

Alaska provides food for school-aged children. Children who are low-income receive this benefit. This service is provided during the school year but doesn’t end during summer because they are aware of children’s need to have good nutrition. The government of Alaska created the Summer Food Service program to meet the nutritional needs of these children. The state provides nutritious, free meals and snacks for children during summer break. Call 907-465-3316 for more information on the Summer Food Service.

General Relief Assistance (GRA) Program

This program is designed to help Alaskans with basic needs who aren’t eligible for any other state programs. This program covers basic needs such as shelter, public services, clothing, food, and transportation. Call 907-465-3347 for more information and to apply.

Heating Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

This federally funded program helps low-income households pay their energy bills. LIHEAP aims to assist low-income households in keeping warm during winter and cool in summer. This helps reduce the chance of fire, illness, or other safety issues. The Alaska LIHEAP program offers one or more of these types of assistance:

  • Assistance in the payment of these invoices
  • Assistance during an energy crisis
  • Home repairs and climatic conditioning related to energy supply.

To request assistance from the program, the person in need must visit the LIHEAP office of their county. They will discuss with you the types of assistance that are available based on your monthly income.

Debt Payment Program

A single mother can have significant debts due to many reasons. She could be unemployed, in an accident, or even going through a divorce. These factors can all dramatically reduce a family’s income and make debt inevitable. This program is for mothers who have experienced their debts increase exponentially and do not qualify for financial relief.

It has been noted that Alaska is an extraordinary territory with many conditions. The Alaska state wants to provide support for single mothers to help maintain their families.

Adult Public Assistance (APA)

The Alaska Division of Public Assistance administers Adult Public Assistance (APA) which provides cash assistance for Alaskans who are eligible for APA.

The Alaska Division of Public Assistance also runs Adult Public Assistance (APA). This program provides cash assistance for Alaskans who are old, blind, or disabled and have income that meets the APA eligibility threshold. Singles can receive up to $1156 per month in APA benefits, and couples get $1,719 each month.

Alaskan seniors 65 and older can apply for the Senior Benefits Program. It pays $125, $175, or $250 per month, depending on their income. Please complete and return the Senior Benefits Program Application Form.

Senior Benefits Program
855 W. Commercial Drive
Wasilla, AK 99654

Alaska Child Care Assistance Program

Alaska’s child care assistance, “Parents Achieving Self Sufficiency” (PASS), has three groups: PASS I/PASS II/PASS III. For more information about how to apply for PASS I child-care assistance, please contact your DPA case worker or case manager if you are currently receiving ATAP benefits.

However, eligibility for PASS II/III child-care assistance is not automatic. Contact a local Child Care Assistance office to complete an application.

Alaska Unemployment Insurance

The Unemployment Insurance Program (UI) in Alaska aims to pay temporary benefits to Alaskans who have lost their jobs due to no fault of their own and are willing, able, and able, to work. If they file for unemployment, those who are eligible must seek work and report the required number of work searches per week.

The amount of income earned during the period covered by unemployment insurance benefits is what determines the benefits. The benefits in Alaska range from $56 to $370 per week. Claimable up until 26 extended weeks. To file your claim quickly, visit Click on “Unemployment Insurance benefits” to start a claim. Or, if you prefer to file by phone, call the number below.

Anchorage UI Claim Center
(907) 269-4700

Juneau UI Claim Center
(907) 465-5552

Fairbanks UI Claim Center
(907) 451-2871

Alaska Performance Scholarship (APS)

Alaska Performance Scholarship offers high school students from Alaska the opportunity to receive a scholarship to cover postsecondary education costs in Alaska. The student’s GPA determines the award level. Alaska’s most hardworking students may earn as much as $4,755 per year if they have a GPA of 3.5. Students with a GPA of 2.5 can earn up to $23,378.

Students must complete a rigorous high school curriculum and earn a minimum 2.5 GPA. They also need to pass a college- or career-readiness exam in order to be eligible for APS.

Bottom Line About Help For Single Mothers In Alaska

There is a big variety to choose from when it comes to asking for assistance. The federal government and nonprofits work hard to support the community they are in, the best that they can. To learn more about other assistance offered to help single mothers in the state of Alaska, visit these articles:

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!