Last Updated on February 28, 2022 by Anne-Sophie Reinhardt
These are the resources that single moms can contact when in need of assistance with their basic needs in Kentucky.
- 1 Kentucky assistance for single moms
- 1.0.1 Telephone Discount for Single Mothers
- 1.0.2 Kentucky Weatherization Assistance Program for Single Mothers
- 1.0.3 Eviction/Foreclosure Assistance for Single Parents
- 1.0.4 Temporary Cash Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)/Kentucky Transitional Assistance Program (K-TAP)
- 1.0.5 Utility Assistance for Single Mothers
Kentucky assistance for single moms
Telephone Discount for Single Mothers
The Lifeline, a federal program provides a discount to one wireless or landline telephone in a qualified household. The recipients receive monthly discounts in residence line fees, free toll blocking service, and other discounts to be determined by Lifeline and your service provider. $12.75 of your monthly telephone bill will be covered by Lifeline ( $9.25 ) and Kentucky’s discount ( $ 3.50). Call your service provider for more information and call Lifeline to learn how to apply at 800-772-4636 or visit their website.
Kentucky Weatherization Assistance Program for Single Mothers
Kentucky has a Weatherization Assistance Program that consists of caulking, weather stripping around windows and doors, insulation in the attic, basement and walls of the residence and some cases if the primary heating source is damaged or cannot be repaired the agency may replace the unit. Through this program, your home will be more comfortable and energy efficient. Visit their website to learn more.
Help Finding Food
Kentucky participated in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) to aid low-income families’ food budget. The SNAP supplements the food budget and cannot be used to purchase every food. Feel free to utilize food pantries, community gardens, and other programs.
These are other programs that may assist you with finding food:
- School Breakfast Service
- Summer Nutrition Programs
- SNAP Nutrition Education
- School Lunch Program
- Afterschool Nutritious Snack
- When money is tight, eat healthy
- Women, Infants and Children (WIC)
Contact SNAP’s Hotline number 800-372-2970 for food emergencies.
Eviction/Foreclosure Assistance for Single Parents
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HOPE) offers low-income residents facing foreclosure or eviction free counseling over the phone 888-995-HOPE (4673)
Kentucky provides its low-income single mothers and senior residents four programs to provide legal assistance to residents facing foreclosure or eviction:
- AppalReD Legal Aid (eastern and south central Kentucky)
New clients call: 866-277-5733 Local: 606-886-3876
- Kentucky Legal Aid (western Kentucky)
866-453-9243 or 800-782-1924 Local: 270-782-1924
- Legal Aid of the Bluegrass (northern and central Kentucky)
- Veterans’ Project: 866-516-3054
- Legal Aid Society (Louisville and the surrounding counties)
800-292-1862 or 502-584-1254
These are other resources for preventing eviction.
Temporary Cash Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)/Kentucky Transitional Assistance Program (K-TAP)
The TANF assists low-income families in becoming self-sufficient. The program promotes:
- Assisting needy families so that children can be cared for in their homes
- Preventative measures for out of wedlock pregnancy.
- Encouragement of two parent families.
- Reduction of the dependency of needy parents by assisting with job preparation.
Start your TANF application by calling 855-306-8959 or by visiting their website.
Utility Assistance for Single Mothers
These are the organizations and agencies that are willing to lend a hand to those in need of assistance in their utility bills: