The state of Maryland offers assistance to single mothers by helping them with rent, medical care, housing, food, legal and utility assistance, and more.
- 1 Maryland assistance for single mothers
Maryland assistance for single mothers
Food Assistance for Single Mothers
The Food Supplement Program (FSP) provides healthy food to eligible single mothers and families through the Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card. The EBT is the same in appearance and function of a debit card. FSP allows you to buy majority of foods from most retail groceries; it does not allow purchasing of hot food and ready-to-eat food. Call 800-332-6347 or visit their website to know more information or apply.
Medical and Dental Care for Single Mothers
The following are some medical clinics throughout Maryland which provides free or low-cost healthcare:
- Baltimore Highlands-Lansdowne Health Center is located at Baltimore. Contact number is 410-887-1003. The clinic accepts insured and uninsured patients of any income level. All services offered by the clinic are free.
- Community Clinic, Inc. – Franklin Park can be contacted at 240-624-227. The clinic accepts insured, uninsured, Medicare, and Medicaid patients of any income level. Spanish and English is spoken in the clinic.
- Three Lower Counties Community Services is located at Pocomoke. Contact number is 410-957-1852. Visit their website to view their services.
- Health Partners Free Clinic is located at Waldorf. Contact number is 301-645-3556. The clinic provides medical and dental care to uninsured patients only.
- Find more free or low-cost medical and clinics here.
Legal Assistance for Single Mothers
Maryland Legal Aid provides eligible residents of Baltimore City and Maryland’s 23 counties legal assistance pertaining to civil matters like family issues, public benefits, and aid residents of nursing homes and assisted living centers. Call 240-314-0373 to see how they can help you.
Telephone Discount for Single Mothers
LifeLine provides eligible residents of Maryland with monthly discounts on their landline and wireless phone bills. LINK-UP, on the other hand, provides discounts on landline bills and phone installation. Call 800-525-0145 or visit their website to know more about the discounts they offer.
Utility Assistance for Single Mothers
The Maryland Energy Assistance Program (MEAP) helps eligible customers with their heating bills. The Electric Universal Service Program (EUSP) helps eligible customers with their electric bills. The Utility Service Protection Program (USPP) helps eligible single mothers from their utilities being cut-off. Call 800-352-1446 or 800-925-4434 (for the hearing impaired) or visit the nearest office to apply for any of these programs.
Prescription Assistance for Single Mothers
The following are assistance programs that help with prescription medication:
- The Maryland Pharmacy Assistance Program helps low-income individuals buy their prescription medicine. Higher income and asset than Medicaid are the limit for their services. Call them at 800-226-2142.
- The Partnership for Prescription Assistance Program provides eligible single mothers with free or low-cost prescription medicine. Call them at 888-477-2669.
- SCBN Prescription Advocacy helps single mothers connect to over 270 patient assistance programs using only one point of contact.
- The Merck Patient Assistance Program helps eligible uninsured individuals get their prescription Merck medicine privately and confidentially. Call 800-727-5400 or visit their website.