The Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant (VTAG) was created to help Virginia residents who are enrolled in accredited, private, non-profit colleges or universities. The grant is only available for students who are enrolled in GW Virginia-based programs (VSTC Arlington, Alexandria and Alexandria).
Application Process for Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant
The financial aid office at the private institution where the student is planning to enroll may accept applications. Applications must be completed and submitted to the institution’s financial aid office by July 31, prior to fall semester enrollment. Only applications received after July 31st, but not later than December 1, will count for funding.
Although this page doesn’t cover all eligibility requirements, it does provide the following basic criteria:
- You must be a Virginia student by: 1) being a domiciliary resident of Virginia, as defined by Code of Virginia SS23.1-502 and augmented with the Domicile Guidelines; 2) meeting the military dependent requirements of SS 23.1-505; 3) satisfying the Tuition Equity provision requirements of SS 23.1-505.1.
- A full-time professional, undergraduate or graduate student.
- In an eligible institution to pursue a degree not in theological or religious education.
- In an eligible institution to pursue an eligible degree, which is not in theological or religious education. They only accept eligible graduate programs if they are in a health-related profession program as defined by the 51 series of programs within the NCES Classification of Instructional Programs.
Eligible Institutions for Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant
- Appalachian College of Pharmacy
- Averett University
- Bluefield College
- Bridgewater College
- Christendom College
- Eastern Mennonite University
- Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Emory & Henry College
- Ferrum College
- George Washington University (VA Campus Only)
- Hampden-Sydney College
- Hampton University
- Hollins University
- Liberty University
- Mary Baldwin University
- Marymount University
- Randolph College
- Randolph-Macon College
- Regent University
- Roanoke College
- Shenandoah University
- Southern Virginia University
- Sweet Briar College
- University of Lynchburg
- University of Richmond
- Virginia Union University
- Virginia Wesleyan University
- Washington & Lee University
The amount of the award is determined by the number of students eligible and the amount of funds authorized by the General Assembly determines the amount of the award. There are restrictions in the annual Act of Appropriation.
Renewal for Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant
The student must meet the eligibility requirements and not exceed the maximum number years to be eligible for renewal of awards.