Welfare Benefits For Single Mothers

Sharing is caring!

Last Updated on June 9, 2023 by Lori Pace

Single parents and their children deserve good physical and material well-being in life. However, this does not come easily for them as they come from a single-income family. But don’t worry! There are many programs that can help single mothers if they are looking for welfare benefits. We’ll show you the options and help you apply.


Medicaid is a government-funded healthcare program that helps single mothers make sure their family has access to medical and dental care. You must meet certain requirements, such as family size and work situation, to receive benefits. However, you can verify your eligibility by calling the Centers for Medicaid or CHIP at 877-267-2323.

School Breakfast Program

The School Breakfast Program is one of the welfare benefits for single mothers. It provides nutritious breakfasts for children from low-income households at schools and childcare centers on a daily basis. Each State receives block grants through the program to supply food products to schools participating in the breakfast program schools. The Food and Nutrition Service, which is a division of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, administers the program. You can reach the office at 703-305-2281 if you have any questions about the program.

National School Lunch Program

The National School Lunch Program, which is similar to the School Breakfast Program but funded at the federal level, is a meal provision program to ensure children have healthy, nutritious lunches at school. These lunches may be free or very low-cost depending on which school or childcare facility your child attends. Single mothers can apply for benefits by calling the USDA Communication Division at 703-355-2281.

Weatherization Assistance Program

The Weatherization Assistance Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Energy to assist single mothers in lowering their home’s energy costs by offering them services that will make their homes more efficient. To apply online for weatherization assistance, visit the DOE website. Select your state to complete an application.

Paid Family Leave

Paid Family Leave is a program of the State Disability Insurance program. This assistance program can replace part of your regular earnings if you are facing a family emergency. California residents with low income are eligible to apply for this program. You can claim these benefits online using the SDI Online claim forms. If you have any questions about submitting a claim, contact the State of California’s Employment Development Department at 1-877-238-4373.

Local Food Banks

The Feeding America initiative includes a wide range of local food banks that are located in all 50 States and territories. Call the FeedingAmerica National Office at 800-771-2303 to apply for food assistance for single mothers. They can help you locate a pantry or food bank in your area, and will also provide advice on what documents to bring with you to the pantry.

Unemployment Insurance

You may be eligible for the Unemployment Insurance program if you have lost your job through no fault of your own. Although there are certain criteria that must be met before a claim is processed, you can still check if you meet the eligibility requirements by calling the UI Self-Service Center at 1-866-333-4606.

Women, Infants, and Children Program

WIC is a federally funded healthcare and nutrition assistance program that provides support for pregnant and nursing women and their children. Some of these welfare benefits include nutrition education workshops, counseling, food packages, and health checks. You can apply for WIC if you are a single mom with children under 5 years of age. Call the NWA National Office at (202-232-5492).

The Emergency Food Assistance Program

TEFAP is a program that can supplement the food supply of a single mother by providing food and nutritional assistance to her family if she meets the eligibility criteria. If you have questions about the program or need assistance with your application, the Emergency Food Assistance Program is federally funded. You can reach the office at 800-779-7162.

Child Care Assistance Program

Single mothers who are employed may be eligible to receive after-school and early childhood care programs through the Office of Child Care’s CCAP program. You can contact the Office of Child Care at (202) 690-6782 to see your eligibility for assistance.

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!