Single Moms Assistance In Kentucky

Last Updated on January 15, 2024 by Lori Pace

These are the resources that single moms can contact when needing assistance with their basic needs in Kentucky.

Kentucky Assistance For Single Moms

Telephone Discount For Single Mothers

The Lifeline, a federal program provides a discount to one wireless or landline telephone in a qualified household. The recipients receive monthly discounts on residence line fees, free toll-blocking service, and other discounts to be determined by Lifeline and your service provider. $12.75 of your monthly telephone bill will be covered by Lifeline ( $9.25 ) and Kentucky’s discount ( $ 3.50). Call your service provider for more information, and call Lifeline to learn how to apply at 800-772-4636 or visit their website.

Kentucky Weatherization Assistance Program For Single Moms

Kentucky has a Weatherization Assistance Program that consists of caulking, weather stripping around windows and doors, insulation in the attic, basement, and walls of the residence, and in some cases, if the primary heating source is damaged or cannot be repaired, the agency may replace the unit. Through this program, your home will be more comfortable and energy efficient. Visit the HUD website of Kentucky to learn more.

Help Finding Food

Kentucky participated in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) to aid low-income families’ food budgets. The SNAP supplements the food budget and cannot be used to purchase every food. Feel free to utilize food pantries, community gardens, and other programs.

These are other programs that may assist you with finding food:

Contact SNAP’s Hotline number 800-372-2970 for food emergencies.

Eviction/Foreclosure Assistance For Single Moms

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HOPE) offers low-income residents facing foreclosure or eviction free counseling over the phone at 888-995-HOPE (4673)

Kentucky provides its low-income single mothers and senior residents four programs to provide legal assistance to residents facing foreclosure or eviction:

  • AppalReD Legal Aid (eastern and south central Kentucky)
    New clients call: 866-277-5733       Local: 606-886-3876
  • Kentucky Legal Aid (Western Kentucky)
    866-453-9243 or 800-782-1924   Local: 270-782-1924
  • Legal Aid of the Bluegrass (northern and central Kentucky)
  • Veterans’ Project: 866-516-3054
  • Legal Aid Society (Louisville and the surrounding counties)
    800-292-1862 or 502-584-1254

These are other resources for preventing eviction.

Temporary Cash Assistance For Needy Families (TANF)/Kentucky Transitional Assistance Program (K-TAP)

The TANF assists low-income families in becoming self-sufficient. The program promotes the following:

  • Assisting needy families so that children can be cared for in their  homes
  • Preventative measures for out-of-wedlock pregnancy.
  • Encouragement of two-parent families.
  • Reduction of the dependency of needy parents by assisting with job preparation.

Start your TANF application by calling 855-306-8959 or visiting the Kentucky TANF website.

Utility Assistance For Single Mothers

These are the organizations and agencies that are willing to lend a hand to those in need of assistance with their utility bills:

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!