Assistance for Single Mothers in the US

We provide assistance for single mothers with the resources they need – all in one place.

When money is tight, it’s comforting to know that many government assistance programs are available to assist single mothers when they need it most.

We’ll go through some of the most valuable assistance services the US government gave in the sections below.

SNAP Food Assistance 

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is intended to assist low-income households, single mothers, and individuals in purchasing food. In collaboration with state agencies and partners, the Food and Nutrition Service administers the SNAP program, which provides “food stamps” to thousands of Americans to ensure adequate nutrition.

Take a peek at the SNAP Eligibility Information to see whether you qualify for assistance. You may also contact the Food and Nutrition Program Head Office of the United States Department of Agriculture for more information at 703-305-2062.

WIC Program Grants Assistance

WIC or Women, Infants, and Children, are the Special Supplementary Nutrition Program. Nutrition education, health care referrals, and supplemental foods are all part of this program, which provides States with federal grants. Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding and children under the age of five, who are low-income, may be qualified. To apply for WIC, you must visit your local WIC office or dial 1-800-522-5006 to access the WIC Hotline. Alternatively, go to the website for more information on WIC single mother assistance.

Child Nutrition Programs

The US Department of Agriculture provides various nutritional services aimed at supplying children with nutritious meals. The National School Lunch Program, School Breakfast Program, Team Nutrition, and Special Milk Program are only a few of their assistance services.

The Food and Nutrition Service also provides the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) and the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) to provide food items and special discounts to communities. Visit their website for more information.

TEFAP Grants Provide Assistance

The Emergency Food Assistance Program is a federal assistance program that provides free food to low-income single moms, households, and individuals. The United States Department of Agriculture runs the program, and you must meet certain income standards before applying for assistance. For more details and eligibility criteria, call Les Johnson at 703-305-2680 or visit their website.


Medicare is a medical benefits policy mainly for those over the age of 65, but it does provide support to people under the age of 65 in some cases. Using the Medicare Eligibility Checker Tool to see if you’re eligible for any of the services. Call the Social Security Administration at 800-772-1213 or go to their website for more guidance about how to apply for Medicare assistance.

HUD Public Housing And Grants

The HUD Public Housing Assistance Program provides low-cost affordable housing to low-income families. HUD Public Housing serves all states and territories, with over 3,300 local public housing agencies participating in the initiative. Contact your local public housing department or call the Support Center at 1-800-955-2232 for more information on qualifications and application criteria. For more information on single mother assistance, you may also go to the website.


Medicaid is a federal medical assistance program that benefits low-income households and people without appropriate health insurance. Their eligibility rules vary from state to state, and each state is responsible for implementing them.

You should call the local State Medicaid Office to see if you are eligible for assistance. The Medicaid website has a lot of general knowledge about the program.

LIHEAP Energy Grants For Single Mothers Assistance

The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program was designed to support low-income single mothers, households, and individuals who cannot pay their utility bills. Individuals who meet the LIHEAP eligibility requirements may be eligible for heating and cooling energy cost assistance. Contact your State or Local LIHEAP Office for application criteria. LIHEAP also has a contact center where you can get answers to your questions. For more questions, call 866-674-6327 or go to their website.

Federal Government Pro Bono Program

The Federal Government Pro Bono Program provides free legal aid and mentoring to low-income single parents, individuals, and families in need. Send an email to Laura Klein at the Federal Government Pro Bono Service at to learn more about the program or apply for free legal assistance. For more detail, go to the website or call the New York office at 212-760-2554.

Head Start And Early Head Start / Child Care Grants

The US Department of Health and Human Services runs a federally sponsored Head Start program for children up to five to assist them with school preparation programs. Assistance may also be available to low-income families.

Most Head Start programs provide Early Head Start programs for expecting mothers, toddlers, and babies. If you want to apply for either, you can contact your nearest Head Start program. On the website, there is a Head Start Locator Feature. You can also get more detail by calling the Service Center at 1-886-763-6481.

In conclusion, government assistance services are available to support single mothers and those in need worldwide.

Assistance Programs For Single Mothers By State