Single Mothers Assistance in Nebraska

Last Updated on February 1, 2024 by Lori Pace

This article focuses on all the assistance programs for single mothers that are available in Nebraska. We will take a closer look at food, telephone, housing, medical, and legal assistance.

Assistance Programs For Single Mothers In Nebraska

Food Assistance For Single Mothers

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) gives food assistance through qualified low-income individuals and families Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) cards. SNAP is a supplemental program and only aims to widen your food budget. The card cannot be used to purchase non-food items except seeds to grow vegetables and fruits. Start your application online and call the Nebraska State Hotline at 800-383-4278 for immediate assistance.

Telephone Discount For Single Mothers

The Lifeline, a federally funded program provides a $9.25 discount for qualified customers on their monthly telephone bills. They only cover one phone line (wireless or landline) per household. Contact your service provider to start your application.

The Nebraska Telephone Assistance Program (NTAP) provides $3.50 to qualified low-income residents. Start your application online or by calling the Nebraska Public Service Commission (Lincoln) at 402-471-3101 or 800-526-0017 for the rest of Nebraska.

Weatherization Assistance For Single Mothers

The Low-Income Weatherization Assistance Program (LIWAP) provides qualified renters or homeowners, and single mothers receive weatherization. They first do energy auditing to find out where the cool or hot air leaks, and check furnaces, cooking stoves, and water heaters. The program can include the installation of insulation in the attic, walls, and floor, caulking, and weather stripping around doors and windows.

View a page of your location to start your application:

Eviction and Foreclosure Assistance for Single Mothers

Agencies and organizations are willing to assist low-income, qualified single mothers in Nebraska. Visit the Pine Tree Legal Assistance page for facts to learn more.

Other Resources:

Free Medical, Dental, and Mental Health Care

Clinic with a Heart Lincoln

The Clinic with a Heart offers uninsured or underinsured residents a regular monthly schedule of appointments. They provide free medical, dental, vision, hearing, physical therapy, chiropractic, mental health, and spiritual care. Visit the website or call 402-421-2924 to learn more.

Legal Assistance for Single Parents

  • Legal Aid 
    the largest non-profit law firm in Nebraska provides low-income residents with legal help. Visit their website to learn more about Legal Aid and start your application. Contact them at 402-348-1069 or 877-250-2016 for legal assistance.
  • Nebraskans for Family (Fathers Rights NE) – They give legal services to Fathers
    402-391-DADS (3237)
    These organizations provide free or low-cost legal services to those who qualify and are victims of abuse. Visit the page to locate your county.
Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!