Grants for Single Mothers in Rhode Island

Sharing is caring!

Last Updated on September 27, 2023 by Lori Pace

In Rhode Island, single moms may apply for various assistance grants and child care programs. Similarly, this helps them close the gap during a financial crisis.

In this article, we’ll show you where and how to apply for these grants on this page. However, if you’re looking for personal grants for single moms in a different state, click the link.

Child Care and Grants in Rhode Island

Works Program

The Rhode Island Works Program aims to help families leave welfare and achieve self-sufficiency. Single moms in need of cash assistance, childcare, or job placement assistance can call the Department of Huma Services at 1-855-697-4347 to see if they qualify.


Families with minor children on a meager income will apply for food assistance in Rhode Island. The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) provides electronic incentives to buy healthy foods. You should contact the DHS at 1-855-697-4347 if you want to apply for SNAP benefits.

Generate an image of a table with healthy and colorful foods such as fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.

Child Care Assistance Program

CCAP is a financial aid program that will support single moms in covering childcare costs. The Department of Human Services runs the program, and applicants must meet job and income criteria before receiving co-payment benefits. To see whether you qualify for CCAP benefits, call the DHS office at 1-855-697-4347.

Rite Care

Rite Care is a federal Medicaid block grant program that could be the solution to your healthcare coverage issues. Families and children will participate in the Rite Care network, which is a managed care initiative. By calling the Medicaid office at 1-800-587-5187, you can register for either the Neighborhood Health Plan or the United Healthcare Community Plan.

Child Support Program

The Office of Child Support Services offers the Child Support Program to single moms who need assistance with childcare costs. Benefits are awarded based on wages and job qualifications, so you can contact the office at 401-458-4400 to find out whether you qualify for CSP.

Hospital Charity Care Program

The Rhode Island Department of Health offers qualifying low-income families a “free treatment” program called the Charity Care assistance service. This initiative will help single moms ensure that their families get critical healthcare at Rhode Island hospitals. Contact the Health Department at 410-222-5960 to learn more about the initiative or apply for benefits.

Ultra realistic picture of a cheerful 6 - year - old girl fully equipped as a nurse talking to an adult patient. Bright sunny kids hospital. bright colors, DSLR, Canon EF - S 10 - 18mm f/ 4. 5 - 5. 6 IS STM lens, ISO 150, octa - rendering, hyper-realistic textures. 4K resolution.

State Grant Program

The Rhode Island State Grant Program supports students enrolled in post-secondary institutions but cannot afford to pay their fees. Grants are awarded based on the contribution of a student’s family and the university where they are enrolled. To determine whether your child is eligible for scholarships, call the Higher Education Assistance Authority at 410-736-1100.

Unemployment Insurance

The Rhode Island Department of Labor and Training will assist single moms seeking unemployment compensation since they are unemployed. If you lost your job for no fault of your own, the DLT would help you obtain benefits. To begin the claims process, call the office at 401-462-8000.

Temporary Caregiver Insurance

The TCI program is by the Rhode Island Department of Labor and Training to assist caregivers of minor children with child care costs. Contact the Temporary Disability Insurance Department at 401-462-8420 to learn more about the program’s eligibility criteria or file a claim.

This page should have included enough details for single moms in Rhode Island to apply for assistance grants when their finances are tight.

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!