Grants for Single Mothers in Wisconsin

Sharing is caring!

Last Updated on September 27, 2023 by Lori Pace

Single moms should search for grants and other services to get assistance in Wisconsin. Trying to apply for a grant program may be a first step toward moving out of poverty and achieving one’s goals.

However, if you’re looking for grants for single mothers in a different state, follow the link provided.

Wisconsin Assistance for Single Moms


Wisconsin Works (W-2) is a career training program for adults who meet certain income requirements. Check the full list of benefits and contact the W-2 department in your area to apply. Call (608) 267-3905 or email to reach the Department of Children and Families.

FoodShare Wisconsin

FoodShare Wisconsin is a state-wide hunger-prevention initiative. Apply for food stamps online, by phone, or in-person at a Department of Health Services (DHS) agency near you. Call 1-800-362-3002 to get this information.

Foodshare Wisconsin

Wisconsin Shares (Child Care)

Low-income moms must apply for child care subsidies through Wisconsin Shares. If your income and family size qualify, you may apply on the ACCESS website. Call 1-800-362-3002 if you have any concerns or need assistance with a form.


BadgerCare Plus

BadgerCare Plus is a low-cost health insurance program for single mothers and their children. Use ACCESS to apply, or download and fax your submission. You may apply over the phone or look up the DHS agency in your region. You can reach customer service at 1-800-362-3002 or

WHEDA Section 8 Voucher Program

The Wisconsin Housing and Economic Development Authority (WHEDA) has a Section 8 Voucher Program for low-income families looking for a place to live. To take part, contact your county’s Housing Choice Voucher Program agent. WHEDA can be reached at or by calling 1-800-334-6873.

Talent Incentive Program (TIP) Grant

Talent Incentive Program Grants (TIP) assist single moms attempting to return to school. Apply online by filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Also, fill out the TIP Grant application and mail it to the Wisconsin Educational Opportunity Program (WEOP) office nearest to you.

Wisconsin Tuition Grant (WTG)

Another scholarship for low-income students in Wisconsin is the Wisconsin Tuition Grant (WTG). Fill out the FAFSA and see if you qualify for financial aid based on your financial need. Call (608) 266-0888 or email to speak with a grant specialist.


Unemployment insurance incentives are available through Wisconsin’s Department of Workforce Development. People who have recently lost their jobs are assisted. You may file a claim online or by calling (414) 438-7700 or (608) 232-0678. Send us an email or call us at (414) 438-7713 or (608) 232-0824 with any questions.


WIC is the Women, Infants, and Children program, which serves all forms of families. Receive nutrition and nutritious food assistance in many ways. Apply at a WIC office near you. Call 1-800-722-2295 to reach the hotline.

Head Start

The state of Wisconsin funds the federal Head Start program. Single moms learn how to help their children’s early growth and development. They take part in social, health, and nutrition programs relevant to them.

Look for a Head Start program in your area and fill out an application to get started. Contact or 1-866-763-6481 with general queries.

Single moms wanting to make it in Wisconsin will receive assistance to help them get on the right track. Contact these organizations to see what you may be eligible for.

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!