Grants for Single Mothers in California

Last Updated on January 30, 2024 by Lori Pace

As a single mother in California, I understand the unique challenges that come with living in the most densely populated state in the country. While California may be wealthy, many low-income families and single moms like me still need assistance. Navigating life as a single mom is never easy. The good news is, California offers grants specifically for single mothers, and the best part? They don’t need to be paid back.

If you’re seeking government grants for single moms in a different state, you can explore the relevant links. But if you’re specifically interested in California’s grant programs, I can share insights on what our state offers.

Grants For Single Mothers In California

As a single mother in California, I understand the need to find grants specific to your city. To make it easier for you, here are links to grants available in various California cities:

Cal Grants For Single Mothers In California

When it comes to pursuing higher education as a single mother, the California Student Aid Commission website is a goldmine of information. They offer a variety of grants, including awards for high school graduates, university transfers, and community college students.

For any questions or guidance, feel free to call (888) 224-7268 or (888) CA GRANT, or drop an email to CSAC Customer Relations.

Paid Family Leave (PFL)

As a single mother, I’ve personally benefited from the Paid Family Leave (PFL) program, offered by the California Workforce Development Agency. This program provides crucial benefits when you need to care for a chronically ill family member or a new child. To apply, you can easily submit your claim online or request an application.

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact your local EDD office by mail, phone at 1-877-238-4373, or in person for personalized assistance.

Unemployment Insurance (UI)

When it comes to financial support, I’ve found the Unemployment Insurance (UI) program, administered by EDD, to be invaluable for those who’ve recently lost their jobs. You can start by submitting a claim, checking the status of your claim, or reviewing eligibility criteria on the EDD website.

For immediate assistance, dial 1-866-333-4606 to access the 24-hour self-service helpline, or call 1-800-300-5616 to speak directly with an EDD representative.

Unemployment Insurance Ui

Cal-Learn Grants For Single Mothers In California

Cal-Learn is a lifeline for young parents like me, offering educational and social support. To apply or learn more about this program, you can find a direct link on the California Department of Social Services website, alongside a list of county welfare offices for your convenience.

Access For Infants & Mothers (AIM)

Access For Infants & Mothers (AIM) is a crucial resource, especially for pregnant women and young mothers like me. You can start the application process online through Protected California. Make sure to check the income guidelines to see if you qualify. If you have any questions or need assistance with your application, don’t hesitate to call the dedicated helpline at 1-800-300-1506.

Summer Food Service Program (SFSP)

As a single mom, I know how important programs like the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) can be for our children. SFSP, managed by the California Department of Education, sponsors summer meals for kids. If you need assistance or information, reach out to the SFSP office at (800) 952-5609 or You can also contact the Nutrition Services Division at (800) 952-5609 or (916) 322-8323 for further support.

California Head Start

The California Head Start Association has been a boon for single moms like me. It offers Head Start and Early Head Start services, specifically for single moms and children under 5. These programs cover family support, early education, wellness, and nutrition. If you want to learn more or get involved, don’t hesitate to contact this organization at (916) 444-7760 or via email at

Women, Infants, And Children (WIC)

The Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) program by the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) has been a lifeline for many mothers like me, providing crucial nutrition education and financial support. To check if you qualify, start by taking the online eligibility evaluation exam.

Once you’re eligible, locate a nearby WIC office to apply. If you need assistance, don’t hesitate to call 1-888-942-9675 or 1-888-WIC-WORKS.

Medi-Cal Grants For Single Mothers In California

Medi-Cal, offered through the California Department of Health Care Services (DHCS), is a vital resource for single mothers like me. It provides free or low-cost assistance to those who qualify. You can initiate the application process online or locate a county office in your region through the Covered California website.

For personalized assistance, don’t hesitate to call (800) 300-1506 to speak with an Eligibility Worker in your county, or use the online Medi-CalNow form to send them an email.


CalFresh, also known as SNAP, is a lifeline for many single moms in California, including myself. To get started, you have several options: apply online, download an application, or call the toll-free number at 1-877-847-3663. This program can provide essential food assistance when you need it the most.


In conclusion, I want to emphasize that if you find yourself in the role of the sole breadwinner as a single mom, you’re not alone. Both state and federal governments are committed to supporting us. This funding is a lifeline that can help single moms like me achieve a multitude of short- and long-term goals.

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!