Grants For Single Mothers In Tennessee

Sharing is caring!

Last Updated on January 25, 2024 by Lori Pace

Finding assistance such as Families First or WIC is not too difficult in Tennessee. However, single or low-income mothers often struggle to find the proper aid. Therefore, start the quest for financial and child assistance services.

In this article, I’ll share my personal journey as a single mother in Tennessee and the effective programs that helped me. Through my experiences, I’ll provide valuable insights into accessing assistance programs in the state. However, if you are searching for a different state’s grant programs, visit our page on grants for single moms.

Tennessee Families First and Other Grants

Let’s delve into some key assistance programs available to single mothers in Tennessee, including my personal experience with Tennessee Families First and other grants. I’ll provide a comprehensive overview of eligibility criteria, application processes, and tips to maximize the benefits of these programs.

If you’re looking for a specific city in Tennessee, use the link below. Otherwise, please read on.

Tennessee Student Assistance Award (TSAA)

Single moms participating in higher education institutions in Tennessee are eligible for the Tennessee Student Assistance Award Program (TSAA). Fill out a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to see if you apply. The application deadline is March 1st. For more details, contact your school’s financial aid office.

Unemployment Insurance

Single moms who are out of work for a short period will apply for unemployment benefits. Eligible workers receive funds from the Unemployment Insurance tax.

Manage your online tax account or call the nearest UI tax office. Contact the Department of Labor and Workforce Development at (844) 224-5818 for more details.

Child Care Assistance

Child Care Assistance is a program offered by the Department of Human Services (DHS) to assist single moms while they work. If you work or go to school, you may be eligible for Smart Steps Child Care Payment Assistance. Download an application for the Smart Steps program online or contact a DHS office near you.

Call (615) 313-4700 or email for more information. To get help, go to the Tennessee Child Care Resource and Referral Network’s website and look for a center near you.

hispanic 10 year old girl painting sitting at a table looking at the canvas having fun, colorful canvas, behind the back, focus on easel, modern, depth of field, other kids in the background, white wall background


CoverKids is a children’s health insurance program for low-income families. Apply online or by calling 1-800-318-2596 to the Tennessee Division of Health Care Finance and Administration. Visit a county health department in person to apply, or fax it to 1-866-913-1046. Call 1-866-CoverTN if you have any questions.


TennCare is Tennessee’s Medicaid program for low-income residents. Stop by a DHS office in your county to apply. To apply over the phone, you can dial 1-800-318-2596. Visit or call 1-866-475-7877 to speak with a private medical provider.

You can also contact TennCare at 1-800-342-3145 or for more information.


WIC is a program that provides nutritional assistance to Women, Infants, and Children. This program, also known as the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program, assists women who are breastfeeding, pregnant, or raising children.

To enroll in the WIC program, I personally visited my local health department, and it made a significant difference in my family’s nutrition. Having navigated the process firsthand, I can offer insights and guidance on how to access this vital assistance. You can also reach the department at (615) 741-3111 or

Food Stamps (SNAP)

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP, is a food assistance program for unemployed people who have a low income. However, DHS uses income criteria to decide your eligibility. Visit your local DHS office or apply for benefits online.

Contact the Family Assistance Service Center in Nashville at (615) 743-2000 or 1-866-311-4287 toll-free.

tradition italian food on the wooden table, delection of assorted food photorealism

Families First Tennessee

Tennessee’s scheme for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) is called Families First. Benefits are available online or in person at a DHS county office.

Call the Family Assistance Service Center at (615) 743-2000 or 1-866-311-4287.

Head Start

Head Start is the state’s federal early childhood education and growth initiative. To submit, call 1-866-763-6481 or go to the Early Childhood Learning & Knowledge Center (ECLKC) website and use the Head Start Locator tool.

You can reach Head Start at 1-866-763-6481 or by email at Call (615) 741-5158 to contact the Department of Education.


The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is a low-income household energy assistance program. You must adhere to national poverty standards, and a portion of your salary needs to cover your electricity costs. Therefore, to register, go to the LIHEAP website and fill out a form. You can also contact the LIHEAP office in your area.


In conclusion, as a single mother who has faced the challenges of managing finances and accessing essential resources, I understand the importance of trustworthy assistance. Rest assured, Tennessee’s organizations and agencies, which have been a lifeline for me, are available to provide valuable support when it comes to crucial money and life matters.

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!