Grants for Single Mothers in Connecticut

Last Updated on October 11, 2023 by Lori Pace

Connecticut has a history of offering vital financial assistance, healthcare, and grants to single-parent and low-income families like ours. As single moms, we each have unique aspirations, but our shared goal is clear: to provide for our families. This is a part of my journey too, and I’m here to provide you with insights on how Connecticut’s support can make a real impact on your life.

Therefore, there are tools available in Connecticut to help them achieve their most critical objectives. However, if you are looking for grants for single moms in another state, please follow the link.

Connecticut Single-Parent Grants and Financial Aid

Student Financial Aid for Single Mothers

As a single mother in Connecticut who has navigated these challenges, I know how vital it is to access various assistance programs. One key resource is the directory of student financial aid services offered by Connecticut’s Office of Higher Education. This directory covers a range of grants and scholarships designed specifically for single mothers, including the Pell Grant, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), and TEACH Grant. To help you make the most of these opportunities, let’s delve into each program in detail.

Email or dial (860) 947-1800 to contact the Education & Employment Information Center (EEIC). Therefore, call (860) 947-1855 or contact to meet the student financial aid office.

Governor’s Scholarship Program

I understand that when you’re seeking financial support, you want clear, trustworthy information. The Governor’s Scholarship Program is a lifeline for many single mothers like me. This program prioritizes those in greatest need and offers financial aid ranging from $800 to $5,000, catering to both part-time and full-time students. To explore your eligibility, it all begins with filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). I can vouch for the impact these scholarships can have on your educational journey, and I’m here to guide you through the process.

However, the applicants’ deadline is February 15th. Contact (860) 947-1848 or for more information.

Unemployment Insurance (UI) for Single Mothers

I’ve personally had experience with the unemployment insurance (UI) services provided by the Connecticut Department of Labor. It’s essential to understand that there’s a weekly limit to the amount of money you can receive during your unemployment. For each week you remain unemployed, you must continue filing a claim to receive assistance. You have the option to submit a claim online or over the phone, making it accessible and convenient. If you have any questions or need guidance, don’t hesitate to reach out to the Department of Labor’s assistance center at (860) 263-6785. I’ve been through this process and can vouch for the support they offer.

Rental Assistance Program (RAP)

The Connecticut Department of Housing has a Rental Assistance Program (RAP) sponsored by the state. Apartments, townhomes, and single-family homes are also available at fair prices.

The mainline number for the department is (860) 270-8262; if you are experiencing a problem, dial 211. Call (860) 270-8260 for family housing assistance.

the best tiny home ever designed in the backyard--16:9

Care 4 Kids

In Connecticut, Care 4 Kids is the place to go for low-cost child care. You must be hired or enrolled in the Work First training program, and you must also meet the income criteria.

You can contact them at 1-888-214-KIDS (5437) or by filling out an online form.

Winter Heating Assistance Program

Having experienced the challenges of keeping my family warm during the winter months, I understand how crucial the Winter Heating Assistance Program can be. This program not only assists with winter bills but also offers the possibility of weatherization support. I’ve personally navigated the application process, and I’m here to guide you through it. You can learn more about the program and apply online, or for personalized assistance, reach out to a Community Action Agency in your city.

If you prefer to speak with someone directly, you can dial 211 for support. Your comfort during the winter season is a priority, and I’m here to help you access the aid you need.

Healthcare for Uninsured Kids and Youth (HUSKY)

I know how critical it is to ensure healthcare coverage for your family. The Healthcare for Uninsured Kids and Youth (HUSKY) program is a government-run health insurance program that’s been a lifeline for many. It provides protection for those without dependents, teenagers, and the elderly, provided they qualify. I’ve been through the enrollment process and can guide you on how to apply.

You have options – apply online, call 1-855-805-4325 for assistance over the phone, or visit a local Department of Social Services Field Office via the Access Health CT website. Your family’s health is a top priority, and I’m here to help you navigate the system. You can also call 1-877-CT-HUSKY (1-877-284-8759) for more details about the service.

Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)

As a fellow single mother who has been through the journey, I understand the challenges of balancing finances and providing for your family. The WIC program, officially the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children, has been a critical source of financial and nutritional support for me. If you’re pregnant, breastfeeding, or raising a child, I can personally attest to the assistance it provides. You’re not alone in this journey. To explore your eligibility, you can reach out to the Connecticut program directly at (860) 509-8084 or via email at I’ve been where you are, and I’m here to support you.

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

I’ve personally benefited from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as Food Stamps, which has been a lifeline during tight financial times. To qualify for SNAP, your monthly income must meet certain criteria. You’re not alone in wondering if you’re eligible. I’ve been there. To get started, use the SNAP pre-screener or call (800) 842-1508 for more details. I can attest to the importance of accessing these resources for you and your family.

massive sequence of vegan products

Temporary Family Assistance (TFA)

I know firsthand the challenges of being jobless or underemployed as a single mother, and I’ve found support through Temporary Family Assistance (TFA). This program provides cash assistance and valuable work training to help you get back on your feet. I’ve been through the application process, and I’m here to guide you through it.

You have options: You can visit the Connecticut Department of Social Services website and click on the ConneCT link, download and submit an application, or call (855) 626-6632 or 1-855-CONNECT to apply. If you need further assistance, don’t hesitate to call 211 to be directed to a DSS Service Center, where you can pick up an application. Your journey is important, and I’m here to support you every step of the way.


To wrap things up, I want to emphasize the importance of understanding the eligibility criteria for single-parent families in Connecticut. It’s crucial to ensure that you’re making the most of the grants and financial aid available to families like yours. I’ve been in your shoes, and I know how these resources can make a meaningful difference in your life.

To get started, explore the programs mentioned earlier and reach out to them. Remember, you’re not alone in this journey, and there is help available to support you on your path to financial stability.

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!