Grants for Single Mothers in Nebraska

Sharing is caring!

Last Updated on September 28, 2023 by Lori Pace

Nebraska is a state that cares because it offers help to its single moms and other low-income citizens. It’s not easy raising kids on your own while still juggling jobs and finances. Therefore, there are funds to assist the women who need it the most.

In this article, we aim to assist single moms in Nebraska in locating and applying for the assistance they need. However, if you are searching for grants in another US state – follow the link.

Nebraska Help for Single Moms

Nebraska Opportunity Grant

The Nebraska Opportunity Grant (NOG), also known as the Nebraska State Grant, is a financial aid program. They help post-secondary students who cannot afford to pay for their tuition. Only students enrolled in Nebraska colleges and universities that meet the program’s criteria are eligible for the award. Contact Nebraska’s Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education at 402-471-2847 to see if your child is qualified for the award.

Nebraska Aid to Dependent Children

The ADC program is a Department of Health and Human Services project seeking cash assistance to single moms and low-income families with minor children aged 18 and under. Benefits are available if applicants meet program criteria, so you can apply to see if you qualify for assistance by calling the DHHS at 402-471-3121.

A shot of female medical doctor 35 years old Ukrainian or slavic appearance dressed in white medical gown with ukrainian symbols and kid 7 years old dressing in children's clothing with animals. They are sitting in the medical doctors office in the hospital, smiling to each other. The shot have to be with super realistic details, hyper detailed. The photo should be taken with a Nikon D850, 4k, perfectly lit with a shallow depth of field


Medicaid, Nebraska’s national health-care network, will provide good, reliable medical and dental care to low-income residents. You can contact the Customer Service Line at 855-632-7633 if you want to apply for Medicaid coverage for you and your children.

Kids Connection

The Kids Connection plan is the name given to Nebraska’s federally sponsored Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP). CHIP is a Medicaid expansion initiative that guarantees that children receive healthcare coverage even though their family is not eligible for Medicaid. To learn more about the program or to apply to enroll your children, call the DHHS at 1-855-632-7633.

Head Start

Head Start is a federally funded initiative that assists families with their young children with educational, personal, and healthcare needs. Contact the Head Start Central Office at 308-865-5690 to determine what benefits you are eligible for.

Women, Infants, and Children

You may apply for the Nebraska WIC program if you are a breastfeeding mother or expecting a boy. WIC is a federal program that provides food, medical, and therapy services to women and their young children under five. Contact the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services at 402-471-3121 to apply for WIC benefits.

Child Care Subsidy Program

The Nebraska Department of Human and Health Services has a program called the Child Care Subsidy Program to help with child care costs. Single mothers may apply to see if they are eligible for the state-funded childcare assistance program. Therefore, please call 1-800-383-4278 to contact the DHHS office.

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families

The Nebraska TANF program supports low-income families who need assistance with electric bills and home heating costs. Applicants who meet the program’s income and job criteria are eligible. Contact the DHHS Office at 402-471-3121 to see if you are eligible to claim such as water bill payment assistance and the weatherization program.

Nebraska Unemployment Insurance

Suppose you are unemployed and meet the legal criteria for unemployment compensation. In that case, you can begin the application process by calling the Nebraska Unemployment Claims Center at 402-458-2500.

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program

Nebraska’s Food Assistance Program (SNAP) seeks to help families and single mothers by giving them resources to buy fresh, healthy foods. However, you need to meet income and job requirements. Call them at 800-383-4278 to see if your family qualifies for benefits and begin the application process.

top view diet food

As you can see, single moms in Nebraska will have various choices available to them that can provide them with the assistance they need.

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!