Grants for Single Mothers in Minnesota

Last Updated on October 11, 2023 by Lori Pace

In MN, we can find different forms of help for low-income families, many of whom are single moms. While most of us know that grants assist those in need, locating and applying for them is not always straightforward.

In this article, we’ll show you how single mothers in Minnesota can apply for grants on this page. However, if you’re looking for a different US state grant for single mothers, click the provided link. Otherwise, if you need to find Minneapolis and Saint Paul, use the appropriate link.

Minnesota Family Investment Program

When I first discovered the Minnesota Family Investment Program, it was a lifeline for my family. If you’re in a situation similar to what I once faced, where basic needs are a daily struggle, this program may be your answer. I can vouch for the MFIP incentives, having gone through the application process myself.

To explore if you qualify for cash grants or food assistance, reach out to the Minnesota Department of Human Services’ Office of Children and Family Services at 651-431-3836. They were there for me when I needed assistance, and they could be there for you too.

You can t buy health.

Minnesota State Grant

Being a single mom, I understand the financial hurdles that can come with pursuing higher education. If you’re an undergraduate from a low-income family, the Minnesota State Grant can be a game-changer, just as it was for me. Don’t hesitate to explore this opportunity.

You can apply for the Minnesota State Grant Program online or by reaching out to the caring team at the Minnesota Office of Higher Education at 651-642-0567.

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program

When I was a single mother in Minnesota, I turned to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) to make ends meet and put nutritious meals on the table for my family. SNAP is a lifeline for those of us who need help with monthly food costs. I know firsthand the relief it can bring.

To get started with SNAP and see if you qualify for these vital food incentives, you can reach out to the caring team at the Food Support Office at 651-431-4049.

MN Food Assistance Program for Single Moms

I understand the importance of the MN Food Assistance Program (MFAP). It’s more than just a food program; it’s a source of support for single moms like us. If you’re in a situation where you don’t qualify for SNAP benefits and you’re 50 years old or older, I urge you to explore MFAP.

To determine if your family qualifies for this vital assistance, reach out to the compassionate team at the Food Support Office at 651-431-4049.

Medical Help in MN for Single Moms

As a single mom who has faced the challenges of ensuring medical care for my family, I know the importance of Minnesota’s Medicaid program, Medical Assistance (MA). This program has been a lifeline for us, offering crucial medical and dental care. If you’re a low-income family like mine, I encourage you to explore this opportunity.

To get started on your path to medical assistance, reach out to the caring team at the Medical Assistance Office at 651-431-2670.

A realistic photo of a young child with a smile on their face. They are in the dentist office getting an examination of their teeth. The dentist and dental hygienist are both smiling and happy as they perform the examination on the child. The young child is holding a toothbrush and toothpaste.

Child Care Assistance Program

Raising children as a single parent is a challenge I know all too well. Quality child care is crucial, and that’s why I’m delighted to share the Child Care Assistance Program with you. This program, offered by the Department of Human Services Division of Children and Families, is a lifeline for low-income families like ours. To explore your eligibility for compensation and ensure your children receive the best care, give the compassionate team a call at 800-657-3954.

Women, Infants, and Children

As a mother who has been through the joys and challenges of pregnancy and breastfeeding, I understand the importance of the Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) program firsthand. WIC isn’t just about providing food; it’s a comprehensive wellness and nursing program designed to support mothers like you and your little ones. Through my own experience, I can attest to the positive impact it can have on the well-being of mothers and children.

To explore how WIC can help you and your family, don’t hesitate to reach out to the friendly team at the Minnesota Department of Health at 651-201-5000.

MN Energy Assistance Program for Single Moms

I’ve faced the challenge of covering heating, cooling, and utility bills with a limited budget. That’s where the Energy Assistance Program (EAP) stepped in to help. EAP offers valuable assistance to families like ours. If you meet the criteria for low-income households, you can count on EAP to provide essential support. To kickstart the application process and ease your financial burden, reach out to the understanding team at the EAP Hotline at 1-800-657-3710.


As a single mom who’s walked the same path, I want to leave you with this: the grants we’ve discussed in this article aren’t just possibilities; they are lifelines. These programs are here to help you, to ease the burden of providing for your family. As you navigate these options, remember that support is available, and you’re not alone. Together, let’s empower single mothers and their children in Minnesota to thrive.

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!