Grants for Single Mothers in Vermont

Last Updated on January 23, 2024 by Lori Pace

Are you a single mother looking for single-parent and child benefits in the state of Vermont? In this guide, I’ll provide you with essential information on grants and assistance programs that can make a significant difference in your life. I’ve collected this information based on real-world experiences and insights from the Vermont community. If you are looking for single-mother grants in a different state, click the link provided.

Taking charge of an entire household may not be possible, especially if you only have a single income. However, single mothers in the state of Vermont don’t need to worry because the state has many grants and affordable programs to help single mothers in their communities.

Vermont Single-Parent and Children Benefits

Let’s dive deeper into the support systems available to single mothers in Vermont. Drawing from my personal experiences, I’ll give you a more comprehensive view of the assistance programs and grants that can ease the financial burden of single parenting. I’ll break down the eligibility criteria, application processes, and the specific benefits each program offers, ensuring you have a thorough understanding of the options available.

Vermont Student Assistance Corporation (VSAC)

The Vermont Student Assistance Corporation, or VSAC, is a lifeline for single mothers seeking educational grants. Drawing from my own experiences, I can vouch for the reliability of this program. To access detailed information and apply, visit the official VSAC website or general email information at You can also reach out to them at (800) 882-4166 or (802) 654-3750. Their commitment to helping students is unquestionable.

Vermont Incentive Grant

Low-income students can benefit from the VSAC for financial assistance. The Vermont Incentive Grant is given to single mothers enrolled full-time in colleges and universities in Vermont.
Submit your FAFSA application to see if your income level meets the qualifications. However, if you cannot apply for FAFSA, you can still fill out a financial aid form digitally on the VSAC website.

You can also visit your school’s financial aid office for more information about grants, or you may contact VSAC at or by phone at (800) 882-4166 or (802) 654-3750.

Reach Up

Having personally benefited from the Reach Up program, I can attest to its effectiveness. As someone who has successfully completed the program, I’ll provide insights based on my journey. Reach Up, managed by the Vermont Department for Children and Families, offers valuable financial grants and job training for single mothers.

To get this grant, you will need to complete an interview and follow some work requirements to stay in the program. Child-Only Reach Up offers financial grants to help adults become guardians for children. Regardless of which program you’ll be choosing, you can apply by calling them at 1-800-479-6151, or by showing up at a nearby district office.


If you’re a single mother struggling to put nutritious meals on the table, you’re not alone. I’ve been in your shoes, and I understand the importance of programs like 3SQUARESVT. This program, also known as SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), is a lifeline for families facing food insecurity. While my experience speaks to its significance, I also want to provide you with concrete data to support its impact.

You can apply for this program online through the official Vermont Department for Children and Families website, or you can call 1-800-479-6151 to request a mail-in application.

Food items (rice, bread, cheese, etc.) Clothing items (shirts, pants, shoes, etc.) Electronic items (mobile phones, computers, etc.) Household items (furniture, appliances, etc.)

Green Mountain Care

Navigating healthcare as a single mother is a journey I’ve personally experienced. Green Mountain Care is Vermont’s state-funded version of Medicaid, offering healthcare coverage for single mothers, their children, and the disabled. You may also explore Medicaid programs designed for children and adults.

While I can share my experiences, I encourage you to check the Vermont Health Connect website for the latest eligibility criteria and application details. If you have any questions about Medicaid, don’t hesitate to contact Health Access Member Services at 1-800-250-8427 or call (855) 899-9600.


I understand the challenges that single mothers face when it comes to affording quality child care. The Vermont Department for Children and Families (DFC) provides Child Care Financial Assistance to income-eligible families, which can make a significant difference. To ensure you have the most up-to-date information, I recommend applying through the official Bright Futures Information System (BFIS) website or filling out an application and sending it to your county’s community childcare support agency. For further guidance and support, don’t hesitate to contact the Child Development Division at (802) 241-3110 or 1-800-649-2642.


When it comes to healthcare coverage for our children, I know the importance of Dr. Dynasaurs (SCHIP) provided by Green Mountain Care. This program caters to low-income families in Vermont. I’ve witnessed firsthand the relief it can bring to single mothers. While my experience speaks volumes, it’s essential to note that this program operates in accordance with specific income guidelines.

To learn more about these thresholds and apply, visit the Vermont Health Connect website. For any questions, you can reach out to the Health Access Member Services at 1-800-250-8427.

female orthopedist examining little child foot condition in clinic, 8k, hdr,

Unemployment Insurance

Navigating job stability as a single mother can be daunting, especially during these challenging times. Drawing from my own experiences, I understand the anxiety it can bring. Vermont’s Unemployment Insurance program considers your past and current work earnings to determine your eligibility. While specific income thresholds may change over time, you can typically claim benefits if you meet certain income and employment criteria.

To learn more about the current thresholds and application details, you can check the official Vermont Department of Labor website. You can call your claim online using a PIN, over the phone at 1-800-983-2300, or by mail. You may also contact the Claims Center at 1-877-214-3330.

Rental Assistance Program

Securing stable housing is a top priority for single mothers. I’ve been there, and I understand the importance of the Rental Assistance Program offered by the Vermont State Housing Authority (VSHA). To provide you with a more comprehensive view, I want to emphasize that you must meet the income requirements and be willing to be on a waiting list to access this program. While my experiences highlight its value, I’ll also guide you through the application process.

You can start by downloading the Application for Rental Assistance from the VSHA website or reach out to the organization at (802) 828-3295 for more information.

Home Heating Assistance

As someone who has faced the harsh Vermont winters as a single mother, I know how essential heating assistance can be. Low-income households like mine who meet the federal poverty guidelines can claim Fuel assistance or Home Heating Assistance.

To ensure you get the most accurate and up-to-date information, I recommend visiting the official Vermont Department for Children and Families website. Alternatively, you can call 1-800-479-151 to inquire about the application process or visit your district office in person. Another option is to download an application from Vermont’s Economic Services Division and mail it in.

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!