Grants for Single Mothers in Maryland

Sharing is caring!

Last Updated on September 12, 2023 by Lori Pace

Maryland offers various grants and welfare programs for low-income and single-parent families. Firstly, it’s not rare for single moms to need financial assistance from time to time. Secondly, finding out where and how to apply for that assistance is difficult.

Fortunately, this page will assist you. In this article, we’ve covered some of your choices if you’re a single mother in Maryland. However, if you’re looking for grants for single mothers in a different state, click the link provided.

Maryland Single-Parent Welfare Programs

Head Start and Early Head Start

Head Start and Early Head Start are services that help children prepare for school while also focusing on their social and emotional growth. If their parent(s) meet the income and job criteria, children up to the age of five can enroll in the Head Start or Early Head Start programs. Contact the Maryland Head Start Association at 1-866-763-6481 to learn more about the program or apply for benefits.

Temporary Cash Assistance

The TCA program is by the federal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families grant. They may assist single moms in meeting their needs with short-term cash loans. Contact the Department of Human Services at 1-800-332-6447 if you’d like to apply for TCA.

Food Supplement Program

The Food Supplement Program (FSP) is also known as the Maryland Special Nutrition Assistance Program. Applicants who meet the income criteria are eligible for subsidies, which enable them to use their electronic benefits to buy healthy foods. If you want to apply for FSP, you can do so by calling 1-800-337-6347.

Maryland Children’s Health Program

MCHIP is a children’s health-care support program that single moms should apply for if they want their children to be protected. Full medical and dental coverage is available to children until the age of 19. If you have any questions or need assistance applying for MCHIP, contact the Maryland Health Connection Office at 1-855-642-8572.

Child Care Subsidy

Single mothers who cannot cover the total cost of child care facilities may qualify for the Office of Child Care’s Child Care Subsidy Program. If you meet the job and income criteria, the program will help you pay for a portion of your child care costs. Call the Department of Human Resources at 1-800-332-6347 to apply for benefits.

Maryland Energy Assistance Program

MEAP will assist single moms in paying for their home heating and cooling expenses, as well as their energy bills. The Office of Home Energy Programs also provides various other energy assistance programs that can help families on a tight budget. Contact the OHEP Office at 1-800-332-6347 to see if you are eligible for benefits.

Unemployment Insurance

You could be eligible for unemployment insurance payments if you lose your job due to no fault of your own. By calling the Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation at 1-800-827-4839, you will see whether you qualify for assistance.

Howard P. Rawlings Guaranteed Access Grant

Maryland undergraduates attending independent tertiary institutions may be eligible for the Guaranteed Access award funded by the Guaranteed Access Partnership Program (GAPP). The grant will assist undergraduates with financial need in completing their degrees by providing scholarships that will cover up to the entire cost of tuition. You should call the Student Financial Aid Office at 800-974-0203 to see if your child is eligible for the award.

As you’ve seen, single moms in Maryland are eligible for various financial aid grants to help them get by.

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!