Grants for Single Mothers in Arkansas

Sharing is caring!

Last Updated on September 29, 2023 by Lori Pace

There are many opportunities for assistance available for the low-income single-parent in Arkansas. We have made a list of current programs relevant to single mothers who qualify due to low income.

Follow the link for a comprehensive overview of the available grants for single moms and assistance programs in the US. Otherwise, explore the grant programs Arkansas has to offer:

Single-Parent Assistance Programs in Arkansas

Single Parent Scholarship

The Single Parent Scholarship is an excellent option for single mothers. You can check out if you qualify for the Scholarship. Find your relevant county on the Arkansas Single Parent Scholarship Fund site and fill in an application at the local county office.

Higher Education Opportunities Grant (GO! Grant)

The Arkansas Department of Higher Education (ADHE) has the Higher Education Opportunities Grant (GO! Grant) aimed at low-income students in general. As a single mother, you might qualify for this. You can review your requirements based on residency and current enrollment status. If eligible, you can get approved. Remember to apply before June 1st.

Suppose you want to know more about the grants. In that case, you can call the ADHE financial aid office at (800) 54STUDY or (501) 371-2050 – Alternatively, you can message them through the contact form website.

Unemployment Insurance (UI)

In the Arkansas Department of Workforce Services (DWS), there is an opportunity to get Unemployment Insurance (UI) if you are an unemployed single mother. Go to the DWS website to file a claim. You can see your eligibility and check the status of your current request.

Call (501) 907-2590 or (866) 392-7284 if you want any unemployment claim help or assistance.


The Arkansas Department of Human Services (DHS) also has a Child Care Assistance program aimed at single mothers. We recommend you check out the eligibility requirements that the DHS has listed on their website. You can also download the application form online as well.

To get any funds, a Program Eligibility Specialist must contact you. If they don’t contact you, they initially place you on a waiting list.

You can get hold of the DHS office in Arkansas; their phone number is (501) 682-1001. Alternatively, you can send an email through the form on their website.

You can get the Division of Child Care and Early Childhood Education, their number is (501) 682-8590, or you can send them a fax at (501) 682-2317.

ARKids First

ARKids First has great Medicaid programs for kids living with low-income single mothers. To understand if you qualify for the benefits, apply on their website or submit a physical application at the DHS office near you.

You can ask for more info on the ARKids First site. ARKids can also be reached toll-free at 1-888-474-8275.


There are Medicaid programs for low-income families in Arkansas, including ARKids First. You can see all of the possible benefits for which you can qualify. Apply online, then download an application or call 1-888-474-8275 to request one. You can also see a listing of Arkansas Department of Human Services county offices near you.

motherhood newborn hospital

Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)

The Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) program are for single women with very young kids. This program helps single mothers by providing nutrition and breastfeeding advice.

You can call the WIC office in Little Rock at (501) 661-2508. You can also Contact the Arkansas DHS office at (501) 661-2000 or (800) 462-0599.

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is available for low-income Arkansas residents. Check if you qualify to receive benefits; this program is mainly based on family income. You can fill out an application on their website or email it to your local DHS county office.

Contact 1-800-482-8988 or visit your DHS office in person.

In the center of the photo, there is a plate showcasing healthy food items that promote muscle building and fat loss. Various dishes and components that aid in achieving these goals can be presented. The dishes may include fresh vegetables and fruits, lean meats or fish, seeds, nuts, as well as protein-rich foods such as eggs or dairy products. Each item can be displayed in an appealing and appetizing form. Additionally, the image may feature other elements that highlight healthy eating for muscle building and fat loss. For example, measuring cups or scales for portion control, a blender for preparing smoothies or healthy beverages, and fitness props associated with training, such as dumbbells or gymnastic rings, could be shown. When describing the image, it is important to emphasize that proper nutrition plays a significant role in achieving fitness goals such as muscle building and fat loss. The image should convey the balance, variety, and quality of food items, as well as the active lifestyle associated with fitness and healthy eating behavior.

Transitional Employment Assistance (TEA)

DWS has a Transitional Employment Assistance (TEA) program that helps with temporary cash assistance for single mothers or pregnant women.

You should also check the Arkansas Work Pays program for TEA recipients. You can call DWS at 1-855-225-4440 or 501-682-2121 or email them at

Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)

Arkansas also has a Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) that assists any single-parent to pay their monthly utility bills. You can apply online or download the application and see if you qualify. You can also read more about HEAP on the DHS website. Alternatively, you can also contact your local Community Action Agency.

Suppose you are a low-income single mother living in Arkansas. There are several assistance programs and grants you might qualify for in that case. Applying doesn’t guarantee you get it. If you are struggling, you should apply wherever relevant to put yourself in the best possible position to take care of your kid(s).

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!