Help for Single Mothers in Arkansas

Last Updated on January 31, 2024 by Lori Pace

Arkansas was historically a poor state. Even though prices are very low, it doesn’t make much difference if you don’t have any money. Single mothers with low incomes may struggle to afford even the bare necessities. Arkansas offers many opportunities to help single mothers, but they do not exclude low-income residents.

Arkansas offers a variety of programs, just like the rest of the United States. The state offers many programs that will ensure a better future for both the moms and their children.

Single Parent Scholarship Fund

This program offers help for single parents, especially single mothers in Arkansas to create a better future for their children. The Single Parent Scholarship Fund provides financial support to eligible single parents for part-time or full-time educations, including bachelor and associate degrees. You can use these scholarships to pay school fees, housing, commuting, and other expenses while parents are at school. These are the requirements to apply for Single Parent Scholarship Fund.

  • You must live in the state of Arkansas or in Bowie County, TX.
  • You must meet the following definition of “single parent” (all 3 categories)
    1. Marital status:
      • You are single (never married, widowed, divorced, legally separated*), or
      • You are married but living apart and your divorce will be final by the time the scholarship is awarded*
    2. Parenting Status:
      • You are the custodial parent or guardian with physical custody (50% or more) of at least one dependent child. A dependent child is any of these:
        • 18 or younger
        • older than 18 and still in high school
        • a severely disabled adult living with and dependent on you*
  1. Living status:
    • You are the only adult in the home with the child(ren), or
    • You live with parents or relative(s), or
    • You live with a roommate who is not your partner (significant other) or a co-parent*
  • You are a legal resident of the United States (or a resident with DACA status), applying in the county where you live.

Higher Education Opportunities Grant (GO! Grant)

The Arkansas Department of Higher Education offers the Higher Education Opportunity Grant (GO! Grant) for low-income students, including single parents. There are many options available through the ADHE. You can choose which one best suits your needs. These are:

Academic Challenge Scholarship

The grant is open to all students, regardless of academic standing. Enrollment is open until June 1.

Arkansas Future Grant (ArFuture)

Students enrolled in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM), or other high-demand areas of study are eligible for this grant. For eligible students, the grant will pay tuition and fees to attend Arkansas’ public institutions. Grants are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Enrollment is open until June 1.

Law Enforcement Officers’ Dependents Scholarship (LEO)

LEO offers a waiver of tuition, fees, and room at any Arkansas public college, university, or technical institute for spouses and dependents of Arkansas law enforcement officers and Highway and Transportation Department employees who have been killed or permanently disabled while on duty.

Unemployment Insurance

The Arkansas Department of Workforce Services administers this program. Unemployment Insurance (UI), which assists single mothers and unemployed in need, facilitates employer compliance with the Arkansas Employment Security Law and provides unemployment insurance benefits for those who are eligible. You must be:

  1. Unemployed,
  2. Ability to physically and mentally perform the work required.
  3. For suitable work
  4. Make a reasonable effort in finding work
  5. Participation or direct interest is not allowed in a labor dispute.
  6. No disqualification

Visit the ADWS website to file a claim. For unemployment claim assistance, you can also call (501) 907-2590 or (866) 392-7284.

Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP)

The Arkansas Department of Human Services (DHS) has Child Care Assistance programs for single mothers. You must contact a Program Eligibility Specialist to receive funds. If you do not contact a Program Eligibility Specialist, they will add you to the waiting list.

Reach the Arkansas DHS office at (501) 682 2001. Also, reach the Division of Child Care and Early Childhood Education by phone at (501-682-8590) or by fax (501-682-2317).

Arkids First

This program provides health insurance coverage for over 70,000 children in the state. It includes well-child exams, eye exams, and dental checkups. It is an insurance service that assists in raising healthy children in Arkansas. This could be the solution to your child’s health insurance needs. 

The ARKids program offers a complete package of benefits that are based on income. Your child is eligible for ARKids A at no cost. Some services are subject to a co-payment for ARKids B. We care about your children’s health. Please see the links below for more information. You can reach the ARKids hotline at 1-888-474-8275 Monday to Friday, between 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Arkansas Transitional Employment Assistance (TEA)

Arkansas TEA provides a limited assistance program that helps needy families with children to become more responsible for their support. It is designed to decrease the dependency of parents on public assistance.

Benefits include cash payments, child support assistance, transportation assistance, job-readiness activities, and other supportive services.

Arkansas’ cash assistance benefits for a family with three members are the lowest at $204 per month. It’s also limited to 24 months unless it’s converted into Arkansas Work Pays. The Arkansas Department of Workforce Services can be reached at 1-855-225-4440 for more information on Arkansas Transitional Employment Assistance.

Arkansas Works

Arkansas Works, a Medicaid program, offers private insurance coverage. Qualchoice, Arkansas Health & Wellness Ambetter, and Arkansas BlueCross BlueShield are the qualified health plans that offer this insurance. Arkansas is expanding Medicaid coverage. Nearly all Arkansans aged 19-64 with incomes up to 138% below the federal poverty level (FPL), may be eligible for coverage under the ACA.

Nearly all Arkansas enrollees who earn between 50 and 138% of the poverty level would need to contribute between $5 to $25 each month to their Health Independence Accounts. This contribution is limited to 5% of their income.

The state will pay a $15 monthly deposit in exchange for enrollees’ health insurance. Those who do not have insurance may have to pay more for their medical services and may even be denied services. Other State benefit programs.

Bottom Line About Help For Single Mothers In Arkansas

There is a big variety to choose from when it comes to asking for assistance. The federal government and nonprofits work hard to support the community they are in, the best that they can. To learn more about other assistance offered to help single mothers in the state of Arkansas, visit these articles:

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!