Grants for Single Mothers in Arizona

Sharing is caring!

Last Updated on September 13, 2023 by Lori Pace

Many single moms in AZ require essential resources or struggle financially, especially with the pandemic at its peak. Luckily that doesn’t mean all hope is lost, as the state of Arizona offers grants to low-income individuals.

Continue reading below to find out more about the different grants and assistance programs offered in the state of Arizona.

AZ Resources for Single Moms

You’re welcome to visit our page on personal grants for single mothers if you reside in a different state. However, if you are looking for grants for single mothers in specific cities in Arizona, see the links below:

Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership (LEAP)

ACPE or The Arizona Commission for Postsecondary Education has grants for struggling single mothers. One of those grants is the AzLEAP or also known as Arizona Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership, this is a grant based on needs and eligibility.

Single mothers who work as teachers can also benefit from the MSSE grant or The Math, Science, and Special Education Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program. To learn more about these state-funded programs, visit their website or call their office in Phoenix, (602) 258-2435 to see if you qualify.

Arizona Federal Pell Grant

Are you pursuing a bachelor’s degree while working or taking care of your family? Worry not, the Arizona State University has a Federal Pell Grant. Low-income individuals are highly eligible.

To apply, fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and wait for the results. For more information, head on over to their website or give the ASU Financial Aid Office (855) 278-5080.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)

Another source is the FSEOG grant – it’s for low-income people who want to pursue their bachelor’s degree while working or taking care of their families. To apply, you have to be a recipient of the Federal Pell Grant and file for FAFSA. You’ll need to be quick and submit your application before March 1.

Unlike other grants, the funds for FSEOG are limited, so only a handful of individuals can benefit. For more information, call up the ASU Financial Aid Office at (855) 278-5080.

Unemployment Insurance Benefits

Another resource for single mothers is the Arizona Department of Economic Security (DES), especially during this pandemic. The DES offers unemployment benefits for unemployed mothers who qualify.

To qualify or get more information, call the toll free AZ Unemployment Insurance Call Center at
1 (877) 600-2722 or their Phoenix center (602) 364-2722.

Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP)

Ease your worries on daycare with the Child Care Assistance Program or CCAP. The DHS or the Arizona Department of Health Services has an extensive list of licensed child care centers, group homes, and even individuals.

To avail of the services, you need to be enrolled in the DES Jobs Program, be currently employed, or currently enrolled in education classes. You can visit their website to see the full list of requirements or call the DES Child Care Administration at (602) 542-4248 or contact their statewide office at 1-800-308-9000.

Head Start and Early Head Start

Another one of the resources for single moms and low-income individuals in AZ is The Head Start and Early Head Start programs. These programs have social services for single or low-income teen mothers. The Head Start Program is designed for children between the ages of 3 to 5, while the Early Head Start is for pregnant women and children from ages 3 to 5 years old.

For more information on how you can contact the Arizona Head Start Association at (602) 338-0449 or call toll-free 1-866-763-6481. You can also send an email over at

KidsCare – Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)

The State of Arizona participates in the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) through KidsCare. Single mothers can check to see if their children are eligible. To get this grant, start applying on July 1 and wait for the start of the program on September 1.

Apply online through Health-e-Arizona Plus (HEAplus) or download and fill out an application. You can also call about the CHIP program at (602) 417-4000 or toll-free at 1-800-654-8713.

Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS)

A more extensive grant in Arizona is the Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS) has medical assistance programs for low-income adults, children, and the elderly.

To apply for this grant, check the income eligibility chart, apply online, or download an application on the AHCCCS website. Another funding available is the Arizona Long Term Care System (ALTCS) is available to elderly and disabled people. Apply online, call or visit an ALTCS office.

Women, Infants, and Children Program (WIC)

Single mothers can get a grant from the Arizona Department of Health Services (DHS). They are involved in the Women, Infants, and Children Program (WIC) for single mothers. You’ll need to determine your eligibility online or visit the local WIC clinic. The clinic’s program provides information about nutrition, breastfeeding, and many others.

You can call the DHS at (602) 542-1025 or call the WIC program at 1-800-252-5942. Visit a WIC clinic or make an appointment by calling 1-800-252-5942.

Nutrition Assistance (NA)

The Nutrition Assistance (NA) grant is Arizona’s program for low-income assistance. Therefore, to check your eligibility for benefits, visit the website and apply there. You may also call the Family Assistance Administration (FAA) at 1-855-432-7587 or visit their field office in Arizona.

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!