Grants for Single Mothers in Alaska

Sharing is caring!

Last Updated on September 29, 2023 by Lori Pace

Public aid for single moms in AK is thankfully not hard to find. If you don’t live in Alaska, you can find grants for single mothers in all the other states as well.

Living as a single mother is already a full-time job itself. But that doesn’t mean that you should struggle alone. Therefore, take advantage of the assistance given to you by the federal U.S. government and the Alaskan state government.

Alaska offers hope to many single moms with their excellent government and other non-profit organization programs that assist many in need. We have listed some of the most prominent programs below.

Public Aid Programs for Single Moms in AK

If you are looking for a specific city in Alaska, visit their links below:

AlaskAdvantage Education Grant (AEG)

The state of Alaska provides the (AEG) or the AlaskAdvantage Education Grant based on individual needs. The grant amount varies from $500 to $3,000 for each year of attendance. However, funds are limited and given out in order of requirement.

To check if you are eligible, apply for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by contacting your school’s financial aid office for more information.

Unemployment Insurance (UI) Program

The UI Program (Unemployment Insurance) in Alaska helps unemployed single mothers, especially those working part-time.
To apply for this grant, file for benefits online.

Contact the Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development for further assistance. Or you may call the Alaska Job Center Network at (877) 724-2539 (toll-free) or visit the closest center to you.

Heating Assistance (HAP) Program

Winter can be a difficult time, especially if you have many things to juggle but worry not with the Heating Assistance Program (HAP). This grant helps families who meet the federal poverty income requirements. Starting October 1, you can apply at the WIC Office, go to the closest Department of Public Assistance Office, or simply visiting the Alaska state government website.

The Alaska Department of Health and Social Services (DHSS) can also help you with your needs. For questions about eligibility or assistance with your application, contact 1-800-470-3058 or

Parents Achieving Self Sufficiency (PASS)

Alaska has a Child Care Assistance Program known as PASS or Parents Achieving Self Sufficiency. Eligible single mothers must be employed or enrolled in school to get this grant.

To check if you are eligible for this grant, contact the DHSS office online, or you can reach a Child Care Program Office (CCPO) at or 1-888-268-4632.

Denali KidCare – Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)

Providing health care to your kids can be a daunting task, especially in this pandemic. However, that shouldn’t hinder you from keeping your children healthy and safe. Denali KidCare can help your child receive healthcare. Denali KidCare is the Children’s Health Insurance Program in Alaska or CHIP.

To apply for this grant, head on over to their website and view your income requirements, or you may also contact your local public assistance or DHSS office.

female pediatrician with Asian appearance examining a black child, putting on a stethoscope, photostock style

Temporary Assistance Program (ATAP)

Moving out or in a tight spot? The Alaska Temporary Assistance Program (ATAP) gives temporary cash to mothers of eligible families.

Head on over to their website, and review the eligibility requirements and funding limitations online. Download the application online, then fax or mail it to a public assistance office near you.

SNAP (FOOD STAMPS) for single mothers

Did you exceed your budget this month? Or do you need a  little extra to get by? Worry not, because SNAP (also known as food stamps or the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) is here to save the day!

SNAP provides to low-income residents in Alaska. To learn more about the program, and see if you qualify or apply online. You can reach a SNAP specialist at (844) 222-3119 or

General Relief Assistance (GRA)

Another grant single mothers can benefit from is the General Relief Assistance (GRA), which helps you with your necessities like food, shelter, and even burials. However, they base eligibility on age, residency, and level of need.

To check your eligibility and see if you qualify for a grant, download an application form online or contact your local district office for more information.


Medicaid is another form of public aid from the federal government in AK. For those who don’t know, Medicaid is a form of national healthcare program available through the Division of Public Assistance.

To find out if you are eligible for Medicaid, give them a call at (907) 644-6800 or 1-800-770-5650. To learn more about Medicaid, give them a call at (907) 465-3347 or send them an email at so that you can make an appointment to receive Medicaid.

You may also visit your local DHSS Office to learn more about Medicaid.

Permanent Fund Dividend (PFD)

Single mothers can make a little extra cash with the Permanent Fund Dividend (PFD). The PFD is an annual payment related to Alaska’s mineral profits. Receive a yearly dividend based on the amounts of your mineral royalties. To see if you are eligible for the PFD, head to the Alaska Department of Revenue PFD website to learn more.

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!