Grants for Single Mothers in Nevada

Last Updated on January 31, 2024 by Lori Pace

Are you a single mother in Nevada looking for financial assistance? You’re not alone. Nevada offers several grants specifically designed to support single mothers like you. These grants aim to provide financial aid for various needs, including healthcare, child care, education, and basic necessities. By taking advantage of these grants, you can alleviate some of the financial burdens and improve your overall well-being.

Nevada offers a range of grants catering to single mothers’ unique needs. There are various options to explore, from the Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) program to the Nevada State Access Grant, TANF, SNAP, and Medicaid.

Additionally, we will discuss eligibility requirements for these grants and provide guidelines on applying. By the end of this article, you will clearly understand the grants available to you, empowering you to make informed decisions about your healthcare and financial well-being.

So, let’s dive in and discover the financial support that awaits you as a single mother in Nevada

Women, Infants, and Children

If you’re a single mother in Nevada, you may be eligible for assistance through the Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) program. WIC provides nutrition education and support to low-income families. The program offers a range of benefits for pregnant women, new mothers, and young children. These benefits include temporary cash, rental, utility, and childcare assistance.

WIC also works with nonprofit organizations and Clark County Social Service to provide additional support and resources to single mothers in need. By participating in the WIC program, you can access welfare benefits that can help alleviate financial burdens and provide essential resources for you and your child. 

Head Start

Head Start is a federal program that aims to promote school readiness for children from low-income households. It offers comprehensive services to children and their families, including early education, health screenings, and social services. This program is particularly beneficial for single mothers in Nevada who are looking for grants and support for their children.

Head Start not only focuses on early childhood education but also provides assistance to families in need. For single mothers who are struggling financially, Head Start can be a lifeline. It connects them with nonprofit organizations and resources that offer financial assistance, such as grants for affordable housing and utility bills.

By enrolling your child in Head Start, you can ensure that they receive a quality education and the necessary support to thrive in their early years. 

Nevada State Access Grants and Scholarships

By taking advantage of the Nevada State Access Grant, low-income families and single parents can access valuable educational opportunities and resources, providing a solid foundation for their children’s future success.

This grant is available through government agencies and nonprofit organizations, such as Catholic Charities of Southern Nevada. It aims to provide public assistance to eligible families, offering support through various programs and services.

The Nevada State Access Grant offers a lifeline to families in need, ensuring that they have access to quality education and the resources they need to thrive.

Unemployment Insurance

Get the support you need during challenging times with Nevada’s Unemployment Insurance program. As a single mother in Nevada, you may face financial difficulties, but the unemployment benefits provided through this program can help alleviate some of the burden.

These benefits are available to individuals who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own and are actively seeking employment. As a single mother, you may be eligible for additional assistance funds specifically designed for low-income households and needy families.

To apply for unemployment insurance, you can visit the Nevada government’s website and follow the instructions provided. If you need further assistance, you can contact the financial aid office or a local government agency specializing in helping individuals apply for government benefits.

Remember, unemployment insurance is designed to provide temporary financial support to individuals actively looking for work, so take advantage of this resource during your job search.

CCDF Child Care Program

The CCDF Child Care Program offers vital support to families in need, ensuring that their children receive quality care while they work towards a brighter future.

This program provides grant funds to assist low-income households, particularly single mothers, with their childcare expenses.

By covering a portion of the cost of child care services, the CCDF Child Care Program helps alleviate the financial burden for eligible individuals, allowing them to focus on their employment or education.

This program recognizes the importance of affordable and accessible child care for low-income families and aims to promote parents and children’s well-being and success.


Medicaid can provide crucial financial assistance to eligible single mothers and low-income families in Nevada, ensuring they have access to affordable healthcare services.

Through Medicaid, these individuals can receive medical services and necessary treatments, reducing the burden of healthcare costs.

Additionally, Medicaid supports children’s health insurance through the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), ensuring that uninsured children have access to comprehensive healthcare coverage.

Single mothers and low-income families can also benefit from grants and legal assistance programs available through Medicaid, further enhancing their ability to navigate the complex healthcare system and access the care they need.

Medicaid plays a vital role in improving the health and well-being of vulnerable populations in Nevada, providing a safety net for those who would otherwise struggle to afford essential healthcare services. 


The Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program in Nevada provides essential financial support and resources to eligible families, ensuring they receive the assistance they need to overcome economic challenges and improve their overall well-being.

The program offers a range of services and benefits, including:

Salvation Army: Provides emergency assistance, such as food, clothing, and rental assistance, to needy families.

Bankruptcy Assistance: Offers guidance and support to individuals facing financial difficulties and considering bankruptcy.

Food Assistance: Helps eligible families access nutritious food through programs like the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).

LIHEAP Energy Assistance Program: Assists low-income households with their energy bills, helping them stay warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

Mortgage Assistance Programs: Provides support to homeowners struggling with mortgage payments, offering options to prevent foreclosure.

Transportation Assistance: Offers transportation services and subsidies to help families with limited transportation options access essential resources and services.

These are just a few examples of the resources and support available through TANF in Nevada.

Other organizations, such as Catholic Charities of Southern Nevada and the Walmart Foundation’s Community Grant Program, also provide assistance to single mothers with bills and other financial challenges.

Whether it helps with housing, food, utilities, or transportation, TANF aims to provide a safety net for single mothers and their families, ensuring they have the support they need to thrive.


SNAP, also known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, offers a range of benefits for low-income individuals, including eligible students, postpartum women, and single mothers in Nevada.

Through SNAP, you can receive government financial assistance to help you purchase nutritious food for your family. In addition to food benefits, SNAP also provides access to nutritional education and support through food distribution centers.

To apply for SNAP, you must go through the application process, which can be done online or in person. Once approved, you will receive an EBT card that can be used at authorized retailers.

Take advantage of this program and further explore other resources such as college, education, and housing grants to support your family’s well-being and financial stability. 

Eligibility Requirements for Grants

Single mothers must meet certain income and residency requirements to be eligible for these grants. Each program has its own specific guidelines and application process, which can be found on the respective program’s website or through the Nevada Department of Health and Human Services. It’s important for single mothers to thoroughly review the eligibility requirements and gather all necessary documentation before applying for these grants.

Many grants in Nevada are targeted toward moderate and low-income families. These grants aim to provide financial assistance to families who may not have the means to cover certain expenses, such as housing, childcare, or healthcare.

For education or college grants, Nevada offers various education grants to support individuals in their educational pursuits. Eligibility requirements for these grants may include factors such as financial need, enrollment in an eligible educational program, and meeting certain academic criteria.

Additionally, it’s important to note that certain grants may have specific eligibility criteria for different groups. For example, grants may be available specifically for postpartum women, noncustodial parents, or families with dependent children.

It’s essential to thoroughly review the requirements and documentation needed for each grant application to increase the chances of receiving funding and support. 

Guidelines for Grant Application in Nevada

Explore the guidelines provided by Nevada’s Division of Health Care Financing to ensure your grant application meets the necessary requirements and increases your chances of receiving financial assistance.

When applying for grants in Nevada, keep in mind the following:

– Cash benefits, such as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), may be available to eligible single mothers to provide financial support.

– If you’re an undergraduate student, you may be eligible for grants specifically designed to support your academic achievements and help you cover educational expenses.

– The Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) in Nevada provides affordable health insurance coverage for eligible children, including those from low-income single-parent households.

– The Salvation Army and Walmart Foundation’s Community Grant Program are two potential sources of funding that you can consider.

– Charitable organizations in Nevada may offer grants to single mothers to help with various expenses such as telephone bills, water bills, and other essential needs.

You’ll need to contact the agency or program supervisor responsible for administering the grant to apply for grants. They’ll provide you with the necessary information and guide you through the application process. 

Hyper realistic style, photograph of a group of children playing in kindergarten, Photographs should be balanced with a group of happy children, (NO text) on the right or left side of photographs. Use colors #c8114d, #07b4c2, #67BB25, #F0D001, #F68100,I theme. I want to be able to download high definition versions of the photographs generated

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for grants for single mothers in Nevada?

To apply for grants for single mothers in Nevada, you can start by researching available grants through government agencies, non-profit organizations, and local community resources. Gather the necessary documentation and submit your application online or by mail, following the specific instructions each grant program provides.

How can single mothers in Nevada apply for grants specifically targeted toward housing assistance?

Apply for housing assistance grants as a single mother in Nevada by researching available programs through organizations like the Nevada Housing Division or local non-profit agencies. Complete the application process and provide any necessary documentation to be considered for assistance.

Are there any grants available in Nevada specifically for single mothers who are pursuing higher education or vocational training?

Yes, Nevada grants are available specifically for single mothers pursuing higher education or vocational training. These grants can provide financial assistance to help cover the costs of tuition, books, and other educational expenses.

Are there any grants in Nevada that provide financial assistance for childcare expenses for single mothers?

Yes, there are grants in Nevada that provide financial assistance for childcare expenses for single mothers. These grants aim to support single mothers in accessing affordable and quality childcare services while pursuing their education or vocational training.

Are there any grants in Nevada that provide financial assistance for transportation expenses for single mothers?

Yes, there are grants in Nevada that provide financial assistance for transportation expenses for single mothers. These grants aim to help single mothers cover transportation costs, ensuring they have reliable transportation for themselves and their families.

Are there any grants in Nevada that provide financial assistance for single mothers who are starting or expanding their own small businesses?

Yes, there are grants available in Nevada that provide financial assistance for single mothers who are starting or expanding their own small businesses. These grants aim to support their entrepreneurial endeavors and help them achieve economic self-sufficiency. 


In conclusion, Nevada offers a variety of grants for single mothers to help them meet their financial needs and provide for their families. Programs such as Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) and Head Start provide assistance specifically for mothers and their young children, offering resources for nutrition, healthcare, and early childhood education.

The Nevada State Access Grant is available to low-income students, including single mothers, who are pursuing higher education. Unemployment Insurance provides temporary financial assistance to those who have lost their jobs, including single mothers who may be facing financial hardship.

The CCDF Child Care Program offers subsidies to eligible families, including single mothers, to help cover the cost of childcare services, allowing them to work or attend school while ensuring their children are in a safe and nurturing environment.

The Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program provides cash assistance to low-income families, including single mothers, to help meet their basic needs. Meanwhile, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) offers nutritional assistance to eligible individuals and families, including single mothers, by providing them with electronic benefits that can be used to purchase food.

Overall, single mothers in Nevada can access various grants and assistance programs to support them in various aspects of their lives. These grants help alleviate financial burdens, provide access to education and childcare, and meet basic needs. Single mothers must familiarize themselves with the specific requirements and application process for each grant program they’re interested in. Staying informed about available resources and taking advantage of these opportunities can greatly improve the lives of single mothers and their families in Nevada.

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!