Help for Single Mothers in Nevada

Last Updated on January 31, 2024 by Lori Pace

Nevada is a trendy state due to its beautiful scenery and Las Vegas’s buzzing activity. It is surprising to learn that despite the glamorous lifestyle of Nevada, 1 in 3 single mothers live in poverty. Nevada may not be a place you can visit if you’re a single mother struggling to make ends meet. If you are a single mom in Nevada, struggling to survive on a low income, there is a good chance that you will not see much of what the state has to offer. You might want to know about the financial assistance and grants available for single mothers to get help in Nevada. Take a look at a few of them that are easily accessible.

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

Most single mothers in Nevada have relied on the Temporary Family Financial Assistance program. TANF is available in all states of the federation. However, each state may have its own guidelines. It is important that you click on the link to learn about the Nevada requirements. You can call 775-684-7200.

TANF can provide financial assistance for up to 60 months, but the program is only temporary until you are able to find work and get back on your feet.

Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)

WIC in Nevada is similar to other states in the Federation. It helps pregnant women. You can apply if you are a breastfeeding mother or if your child is. The women will receive nutritional and healthcare assistance. For more information, you can enroll as a mother who is single by calling this number: 1-800-853-8711.

Head Start

Head Start is a federally funded program that provides relief to families in need. Parents and children of these families are eligible for free counseling, as well as educational support. You must be eligible to apply for this program. You can submit your application through their website, or by calling 702-486-6626.

Unemployment Insurance

If you have been unfairly dismissed and are currently unemployed, you may be eligible to access the Nevada Unemployment Insurance Fund. If you wish to make a claim or visit their website, contact the Department of Labor at 888-890-8211.

CCDF Child Care Program

The Nevada Division of Welfare and Supportive Services runs this program to help single mothers and families on a low income with the additional expenses they need to take care of their children. The program is open to children up to 12 years old. Call 1-775-856-6200.


Medicaid provides health insurance coverage to eligible adults and families with children who have a family income that is considered low or very low. Nevada has expanded Medicaid coverage. Uninsured adults between the ages of 19 and 64 with incomes up to 138% of the federal poverty line may now be covered under the ACA.

Nevadans with incomes exceeding 400% of federal poverty may now be eligible for Medicaid thanks to the American Rescue Plan Act 2021.

Unemployment insurance recipients may be eligible for plans with no premiums. You can apply for Medicaid if you do not have any health insurance and your income qualifies for coverage. Call them for more information at 877-638-347.

Nevada Check Up (SCHIP) 

Nevada Check Up is also the Children’s Health Insurance Program in Nevada (CHIP). This is a low-cost comprehensive health insurance program for low-income children (0 to 18 years) who are not under Medicaid or private insurance.

These are available to children whose family income is up to 205% poverty, or $45,000 if a mother with two kids lives alone. Nevada Check Up does not require copayments or deductibles. Families only pay a quarterly fee that is based on the size of their family and their income. The quarterly premium is either $25, $80, or $50 and is charged to the family as a whole, not each child.

Legal Services Assistance

Nevada Legal Services Program offers a wide range of services and support to single mothers. For more information about the Nevada Legal Services Program, call the following depending on your city:

  • Reno Nevada – 775-284-3491
  • Carson City – 775-883-0404 
  • Las Vegas – 702-386-0404

Energy Assistance Program

EAP’s goal is to assist low-income, single mothers who live in Nevada and have high energy costs. The program is funded by the Low-Income Energy Assistance Program Block Grant and the Universal Energy Charge Funds. You can contact 702-486-140 for any questions.

Self-Sufficiency Grant Program

As a TANF-eligible family, you may be eligible for an SSG grant if you’re waiting to receive your first paycheck, just starting a new job, or on a temporary job leave. The SSG grant amount will depend on your immediate family’s needs.

Telephone Bill Discount Program

Single moms living in Nevada can take advantage of this program. The general belief is that not all residents of Nevada can afford to pay for the latest smartphones and accessories. The government offers a discount to ensure that no family will be denied a smartphone due to the high cost of service. You can save up to $9.25 per month as a single mom on your service bill. To find out which companies offer this service in Nevada, visit the Lifeline Support online portal.

Housing Assistance

Staying homeless with children is definitely not an option. You need a comfortable and safe home for your family, no matter where you are in Nevada. You can contact the website if you need help finding a home or accommodation or if you want to get support for your rent or mortgage.

Nevada State Access Grant

Both state and institution sources fund the Nevada State Access Grants. They award it to students who have the greatest financial need, based on FAFSA applications.

The award amount is based on both the EFC of a student and the number of credits they have taken during a given term. The maximum award is $3,000 per graduate student and $2,500 per undergraduate student.

Nevada Silver State Opportunity Grant (SSOG) 

Silver State Opportunity Grants (SSOG) are Nevada’s first need-based, state-funded financial aid programs for low-income students who attend a Nevada community college or state university. The SSOG funds are limited. The grant allocates these funds to the students who have the greatest financial need, from 0 EFC to 8500 EFC.

You must be enrolled in 15 or more credit hours, and your FAFSA application must show an expected family contribution (EFC), which is 8500 dollars or less.

Nevada Regents Service Program

The Regents Service Program, a state-funded program, allows students in financial need to do community service while attending school. Nevada pays 100% of the student’s wage. Priority will be given to students who have never attended college and single parents. Students who submit their FAFSA applications by the 1st of February will also receive priority consideration.

Bottom Line: Help For Single Mothers In Nevada

There is a big variety to choose from when it comes to asking for assistance. The federal government and nonprofits work hard to support the community they are in, the best that they can. To learn more about other assistance offered to help single mothers in the state of Nevada, visit these articles:

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!