Grants for Single Mothers in Alabama

Sharing is caring!

Last Updated on January 16, 2024 by Lori Pace

I’ve personally experienced the incredible support that Alabama offers to its residents, particularly single mothers like me. The state provides a range of grants, including those for college, food, education, and family assistance. This help is a testament to the United States’ commitment to taking care of its citizens, especially those who may be facing difficulties like single mothers.

Take a look at our grants for single moms page for all the grants available throughout the US.

Although often looked down on, single mothers are the most hardworking and caring sector of society. However, sometimes it’s hard to make ends meet and achieve the things you want to achieve. But, this is where grants come in handy for single mothers living in the state of Alabama.

AL College, Food, and Financial Grants

If you are looking for specific cities in Alabama that offer grants for single mothers, read below.

Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)

I want to shed light on an essential program in Alabama – WIC, short for Women, Infants, and Children. This program plays a pivotal role in assisting single mothers and their families. If you’re a single mom like me, pregnant, have young children (aged five or younger), and breastfeeding, you qualify for this valuable support.

If you have questions or need more information about the Child Care and Development Fund (CCDF) in Alabama, don’t hesitate to reach out. You can call them at 1-866-528-1694 or (334) 242-1425. Alternatively, you can also send an email to They are there to assist you and provide the support you need.

Unemployment Compensation (UC)

Unemployment can be a scary thing for single mothers. Still, it would help if you didn’t worry because the state of Alabama can help you get back on your feet with the Unemployment Compensation (UC) grant.

Give a call to the Unemployment Compensation (UC) Office for more information and file a claim. You can reach them at (334) 242-8025 or at 1-866-234-5382 to visit the department’s website to check your eligibility.

ALL Kids

As a single mother, I understand the importance of affordable healthcare for our kids. The Children’s Health Insurance Program, known as CHIP, provides a lifeline for single mothers. With CHIP, not only can you afford health insurance for your children, but they can also access vital healthcare services like doctor visits, dental check-ups, and vision exams at an affordable cost.

You can apply online or in print and submit it to your local county health department. You may also give them a call at 1-833-373-Kids (5437).

photo of a happy female doctor bandaging a happy child's hand, looks modern and clean, bright colors

Education Support Award

Each year, the Patsy Takemoto Mink Education Foundation gives out five awards worth $5,000. They give this to qualifying families who need support in education. Visit their website to learn more about the awards and download the application.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is a grant available to eligible students with the greatest financial need.

To avail of this grant at the University of Alabama, contact the Student Financial Aid office by phone at 1-205-348-6756 or 1-855-469-2262.

Federal Pell Grant

As a single mother striving to provide a better future for my family, I can’t stress enough how valuable the Federal Pell Grant is. This grant is a lifeline for single moms like me who are determined to pursue or continue our education. It’s important to note that the amount you receive is influenced by your Expected Family Contribution (EFC).

Call (334) 844-4634 to learn more through the Student Financial Aid office at Auburn University. You may also fill out the free application form for FAFSA (or the Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to see if you qualify.

Alabama Student Assistance Program (ASAP)

I know the challenges single mothers face when trying to pursue their education. The Alabama Student Assistance Program, or ASAP, is a fantastic resource for us. The program offers financial aid ranging from $300 to $5,000 annually, depending on your needs. It’s a valuable opportunity for single mothers like me who aspire to continue their education.

You may call the Alabama Commission on Higher Education (ACHE) at (334) 242-2273 for more information or assistance with the program.

Alabama Family Assistance Program

I’ve been through the journey of seeking support as a single mother, and I can’t emphasize enough the significance of Alabama’s Family Assistance Division. This division offers not only temporary cash assistance but also crucial job training opportunities. To access these vital resources, you can start by downloading and completing the Family Assistance application online.

You may also contact the Alabama Department of Human Resources (DHR) by email or give them a call at (334) 242-1773 or (334) 242-1950.

Alabama Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

When it comes to putting food on the table for your family, I understand the importance firsthand. The Department of Human Resources (DHR) in Alabama, through its Food Assistance Division, administers the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). To benefit from this program, you need to meet the income and family size criteria. You can choose to apply online or send in your application by mail.

To find the closest DHR county office near you, visit the DHR website, email the Food Assistance Program, or call them at (334) 242-1700.

Child Care Subsidy

As a single mother, I’ve faced the challenge of finding affordable childcare, and that’s why I want to highlight the Child Care and Development Fund (CCDF) offered by Alabama. This program provides vital financial support to help cover childcare costs. To see if you qualify and access the application, you can visit the Department of Human Resources (DHR) website, where they outline the eligibility requirements.

You may also call 1-866-528-1694 or (334) 242-1425 to ask about the program or send an email to for more information.

A heartwarming scene unfolds in a lively daycare center, where a group of diverse kids engage in playful camaraderie. Among them is a mixed race child, aged 1, with enchanting green eyes that sparkle with curiosity. The children's laughter fills the air as they joyfully build towers and structures with colorful blocks. The candid shot, intended for a kids magazine, captures the genuine and carefree nature of childhood friendship and play. Photographed by Annie Leibovitz, the camera of choice is a Canon EOS R6, carefully selected to preserve every delightful detail of the scene. Soft, natural lighting bathes the room, creating a warm and inviting ambiance. The children's beaming smiles, filled with laughter and toothy grins, reflect the sheer delight they experience in each other's company. As they focus on their collaborative play, their eyes sparkle with shared excitement and imagination. This candid and inclusive moment serves as a celebration of diversity, friendship, and the unbounded spirit of childhood. It encapsulates the essence of joyous play and invites young readers of the magazine to revel in the shared experiences of these little ones, fostering a sense of unity and delight in the world of imagination.
Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!