Grants for Single Mothers in South Dakota

Sharing is caring!

Last Updated on September 28, 2023 by Lori Pace

South Dakota offers many single-parent assistance programs that can help you out. Supporting a family and household with one income is a hard task, especially today.

But don’t worry because we’ve narrowed it down for you! If you’re looking for a different state, please visit our personal grants for single mothers page for more options.

South Dakota Single-Parent Assistance Programs


Single mothers who want to return to school can find several needs-based scholarships.
You’ll need to submit a complete FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to qualify. The awards range from $500 to $2000 per student.

You can also contact the SD Board of Regents at (605) 773-3455 or for more information.

Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)

Next on our list is the WIC program from The South Dakota Department of Health.
This program helps single mothers and their children (especially infants and toddlers) from low-income families. The program gives valuable nutrition advice and assistance to buy healthy and nutritious food in stores.
Eligible families also receive referrals to clinics, doctors, and even community service agencies.

You can apply by simply contacting a WIC clinic in your county or area.
You may also call (605) 773-3361 or 1-800-738-2301 if you have questions or concerns regarding the program.

Source of protein for vegetarians. Top view healthy food clean eating: vegetable, seeds, superfood, leaf vegetable on dark background

SNAP food assistance for single mothers

South Dakota also offers SNAP or the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. It’s a great source of food assistance for low-income households.
However, you’ll need to check the eligibility requirements so that you won’t have a hard time applying for the program. Eligibility is based on your income, the size of your family, and your monthly expenses.

You can apply online through the Department of Social Services (DSS) website, download an application online, have it mailed to the nearest DSS office, or personally drop it off in person.

You can contact the DSS office to ask questions, call the SNAP division at (605) 773-3493 or 1-877-999-5612, or email

TANF cash assistance for single mothers

Another program on the list is the TANF or the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program.
This program helps low-income single mothers with many things.
To apply to this program, you’ll need to visit your local DSS office and check to see if you are eligible for the program.
You can also visit the Department of Labor and Regulation (DLR) office in your area for work assistance, or you can also contact the TANF program administrator at the DSS by calling (605) 773-4678 or emailing


The DSS has medical assistance in Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance (CHIP).  The eligibility requirements are found on the DSS website and a list of services covered. You can apply for benefits online or contact a local DSS office near you.

Single mothers with children can also apply for CHIP or The Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP).
The program has services for the uninsured or the underinsured. Before applying, you should check your eligibility requirements and apply for this program online.

on a light background a child and a doctor


Another program single mothers can apply and benefit from is the CCAP or Child Care Assistance.
Low-income families can benefit from this program a lot.
You can apply online through the DSS website, download an application, and mail it to the DSS Division of Child Care Services. You may also contact the division at 1-800-227-3020 or Child Care Assistance at (605) 773-7274.

Unemployment Insurance (UI)

Single mothers can approach the Department of Labor and Regulation (DLR) because they provide Unemployment Insurance (UI) to eligible individuals. You can file an online claim or call them at (605) 626-2452.

Contact the Unemployment Insurance Division by email or by phone at (605) 626-2301 if you need help.

Head Start

The SDHA or the South Dakota Head Start Association has an early childhood education program in the state and for the local communities. To apply for the program, find a Head Start office in your area and start the application process.

Or you can contact the SDHSA at (605) 224-4161 or 


The DSS has the LIHEAP, also known as the Low Income Energy Assistance Program, for eligible households. To apply for the program, download an application and email it to or mail it to the Office of Energy Assistance.

For assistance, you can call them at 1-800-233-8503.

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!