Grants for Single Moms in Washington State

Last Updated on January 31, 2024 by Lori Pace

Washington State provides endless resources and grants to help empower single mothers and get them back on their feet. Check out more grants for single moms in other states here.

Whether you’re looking for help to pay your rent, how to make money fast, food, or medical aid – Washington State has it all. Interested? Scroll down to find out how you can benefit from these programs. 

It’s important to note that while most of these programs are easily accessible, some require a more lengthy and detailed application. It’s entirely up to you to decide which program works best for you. 

Washington State Grants for Single Mothers

For more grants for single moms in specific cities of Washington state, use the appropriate links below:

WA Housing Grants and Rent Assistance

How long have you been dreading that time of the month? You know, the time when you have to cough up money to pay your monthly rent? 

It doesn’t have to be that way; Washington State provides single moms with rent assistance and housing counseling programs to help them overcome any struggles that they may face. 

  • Tenant-Based Rental Assistance (TBRA)

TBRA helps you get up to 12 months of your rent paid (through utility and security deposits). That’s a whole year of accessible housing. To apply for TBRA, contact Mollie Gaspar on 360-725-2943.

  • The U.S Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD)

If you’re looking for a safe and cost-effective apartment, house, or townhouse, then you should consider subsidized housing (that means the government sponsors it). The best part is that you also receive help in paying your rent. To apply for this grant, call 800-955-2232.

  • Housing Counseling

You are not alone. Please talk about your problems; it helps you move forward in life. Many certified counselors in Washington State offer their services free of charge to walk you through your concerns and help you find solutions. 

To apply for counseling today, contact the National Foundation for Credit Counseling on 800-388-2227.

This social service is one of many non-profit organizations that are willing to assist you in paying your rent and other expenses that you may have.

Get in touch with them to find out how they can help you. Call 724-225-5740.


Washington State Food Stamps

Fuel your body the right way. Check out the top programs below that help provide you with your most basic need – FOOD.

  • Washington Basic Food Program (SNAP)

You can receive up to $348 a month to create healthy, power-packed meals for you and your family. The amount you receive every month depends on your family’s size, income, and expenses.

To apply for this incredible program, you can visit your nearest DSHS Community Services Office or apply online via

  • Washington Special Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)

Are you interested in learning the hacks of nutrition? Maybe you’re new to breastfeeding and need some guidance? 

WIC is the best for providing health checks, nutrition education, and breastfeeding support. Bonus? You can qualify for up to $100 per month of wholesome, nutritious meals.  

WA Medical Aid

Providing medical cover for you and your loved ones can be a concern. It’s a necessary step but can prove extremely costly, especially for a single mom. 

Thankfully many programs can assist you with this. 

  • Medicaid

With Medicaid, you can rest assured that you and your loved ones will receive the proper medical care you require. All you need to do is meet their criteria. 

To find out more, call 800-562-3022.

  • Basic Health

Would you like to receive private health plans and insurance at an affordable rateBasic Health, a state-sponsored program, offers a range of health and medical benefits for struggling single moms. 

Call 800-660-9840 for more information. 

  • Washington Apple Health For Kids

You may be interested to know that Apple Health For Kids offers FREE health insurance cover for children under 19 years old. If you earn a monthly salary of $3 822 (and are a mother of two), you can qualify for the free program. But if you make more than that, you will be required to pay a minimum premium fee. 

The program offers fantastic benefits, including specialist healthcare like dental coverage for children. 

  • Washington Charity Care Program

Did you know that every hospital in Washington is required to provide FREE in and outpatient care? Only uninsured and low-income families are entitled to these benefits. However, if your income exceeds the requirements for free hospital care, then you could receive hospital care at a discounted rate. 

How to apply? It’s straightforward

As soon as you are in the hospital, ask the hospital staff for a Charity Care application and their Charity Care Policy. 

Finding A Job for Single Mothers in Washington

Are you struggling to find a job? Sometimes being a single mom requires you to hustle and find multiple jobs to provide for your family. 

Washington State WorkFirst is a highly effective program that aims to help you find and keep a job. They’re all about helping you become independent.

If you would like to qualify for cash benefits, you are required by law to participate in the WorkFirst program or actively be searching for jobs. To apply, visit your local Community Services Office for an application form or apply online via

Energy Utility Programs

Are you finding it challenging to pay off your energy utility bills? The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is the solution!

What services does this program cover?

  • Energy Assistance
  • Furnace repair and replacement
  • Weatherization (insulation to keep you warm during winter!)
  • Conservation Education

Telephone Discounts and Grants in Washington State

Having a telephone is necessary for today’s day and age, but not everyone can afford one. While some people are working towards getting the latest cellphone model, others cannot afford a standard landline. 

This is where the Lifeline Program steps in—making phone service available to everyone at a price that wouldn’t cost you an arm and a leg. They offer wireless and landline telephone service fees at a mere rate of $9.25 a month. To find out more, call the FCC at 888-641-8722.

In conclusion, we hope you’ve found some excellent grants and help in your home state of Washington for single mothers. Drop us a comment if you have any questions or visit our link at the top of the page to see more grants for single moms in other states and cities.

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!