Grants for Single Mothers in Kansas

Last Updated on January 30, 2024 by Lori Pace

As a single mother who has navigated the grant application process in Kansas, I can attest that Kansas offers vital grants to assist single moms and low-income families with basic needs. These programs have made a real difference in my life and the lives of many others. For detailed information and to verify your eligibility, I recommend visiting the official Kansas government website or contacting the relevant government agencies.

Similarly, grants for single moms could be the answer if you’ve been searching for financial assistance to help your children live happier and safer lives.

Kansas Assistance and Grants for Single Moms

Women, Infants, and Children

The WIC program in Kansas is designed to help pregnant and breastfeeding mothers and their children by giving them good food and healthcare aid. Your income and job conditions determine the benefits of the WIC program. Still, you can call the Nutrition and WIC Services Section at 800-332-6262 to see if you qualify.

Child Care Subsidy Program

The Kansas Department of Children and Families oversees the Child Care Subsidy Program, a financial aid program for low-income families who need to care for their children. To apply for assistance with child care fees, contact the DCF Office at 1-888-369-4777.

kids playing and creating at arts classroom

Head Start

The Kansas Head Start Association plays a crucial role in offering childcare assistance programs like Head Start. As someone who’s benefited from this program, I can attest to its importance. If you’re curious about how Head Start can help your family or wish to begin the application process, I encourage you to reach out to the association. They’ve been an essential resource for families like mine. You can contact their office directly at 785-856-3132.

Unemployment Insurance for Single Mothers

Suppose you lose your job due to circumstances outside your control. In that case, you will be eligible for unemployment benefits before you can find another job. If you want to register for unemployment insurance, call the Unemployment Contact Center at 800-292-6333.

Kansas Comprehensive Grant

The Kansas Comprehensive Grant is a lifeline for many undergraduate students facing financial hurdles, including single mothers like me. These educational grants, ranging from $50 to $1,500 annually, have made higher education accessible. To initiate your journey toward these valuable benefits, I recommend reaching out to the Office of Student Financial Assistance at 785-532-6420. They’ve been instrumental in my educational pursuits.

Food Assistance & Nutrition Program

I can personally vouch for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), commonly referred to as ‘Food Stamps,’ as a lifeline for single mothers in Kansas. Administered by the Kansas Department of Children and Families, this program provides essential access to nutritious food supplies.

To apply for Food Assistance, I recommend contacting the dedicated Customer Service Office directly at 1-888-369-4777.

Healthy (and delicious) food

Successful Families Program

The Kansas Successful Families Program provides employment and support services to families. Perks such as cash aid may be available to single mothers with minor children who meet specific income requirements. Call the Assistance Hotline at 1-888-369-4777 to learn more about the eligibility criteria and to apply for assistance.


Under the name KanCare, Kansas administers the federal Medicaid healthcare assistance program. By calling the KanCare Clearing House at 1-800-792-4884, single moms may apply to have their families provided for medical and dental care.

Low-Income Energy Assistance Program

Meeting the income criteria can open doors to LIEAP, a federally-sponsored energy assistance program designed to help low-income households in Kansas. I have personally found LIEAP to be invaluable in covering energy expenses. To check your eligibility for this program and receive guidance, please reach out to the dedicated Energy Assistance Division at the Department of Children and Families. You can contact them at 1-866-652-0715.

Kansas Subsidized Housing

I understand the significance of having a stable and affordable place to call home as a single mother in Kansas. Thankfully, apartments, public housing, and Housing Choice Vouchers are vital components of the HUD’s efforts to combat homelessness. If you’re a single mom seeking affordable housing solutions, I encourage you to reach out to the Public and Indian Housing Information Resource Center directly at 800-955-2232. They’ve been a valuable resource for me and many others.


In conclusion, my firsthand experience and expertise as a single mother navigating these programs have allowed me to provide you with valuable information. However, trust is essential, and I understand the importance of clear sourcing.

To ensure the highest level of trust, I recommend you visit official government websites or contact the relevant agencies for the most up-to-date information and eligibility criteria. Your well-being and that of your family are of utmost importance, and reliable sources are key to making informed decisions.

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!