Grants for Single Mothers in Illinois

Sharing is caring!

Last Updated on September 28, 2023 by Lori Pace

Illinois gives assistance to its single moms and other low-income families in many forms. This page will help you find appropriate services and grants in your area. Therefore, you’re in the right place if you are a single mother living in Illinois and have been searching for ways to apply for financial assistance.

If you’re looking for grants for single moms in another state or specifically in the city of Chicago, follow the appropriate links.

Illinois Assistance for Single Moms

Illinois All Kids

All Kids is a children’s health care plan in Illinois. The service gives a wide range of pediatric medical and dental needs. Call the All Kids Hotline at 1-866-255-5437 to apply for coverage for your children.

v5 very sweet and adorable baby girt taking treatment for her teeth floss and cavities along with a very very beautiful lady doctor in the chamber

Family Care

Another healthcare support service for single mothers is Family Care. The program helps families of children under 18 with their medical and dental needs. Call the DHS Customer Helpline at 800-843-6154 to apply for medical benefits for your family.


Medicaid is a low-income healthcare support program that gives access to high-quality, low-cost medical and dental care. The Illinois Department of Health Care and Family Services is in charge of assisting, and you can reach them at 217-782-2570 to apply for coverage.

Women, Infants, and Children

WIC is a food aid program that helps pregnant women, single moms, and their children meet their nutritional needs. You may register for WIC benefits at the local Department of Human Services office or call the State WIC Office at 217-782-2166.

Head Start

The National Head Start Association gives academic assistance services that can help low-income families secure quality child care for their children. Contact the NHSA office at 703-739-0875 to see if you are eligible for Head Start benefits.

Child Care Assistance Program

The Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS) has a Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) that can assist families with childcare costs for their children. Benefits are determined by income and family size because it is based on a sliding scale model. Call the CCR&R Hotline at 1-877-202-4453 to apply for child care assistance.

Summer nursery school, image of teacher and students in classroom on clean background,C4D style, vertical image, high-definition

Summer Food Service Program

The Summer Food Service Program (SFSP), which the United States Department of Agriculture funds, seeks to provide children with healthy foods during the summer school vacation months. Contact the State Board of Education at 217-782-2491 to apply for benefits.

Monetary Award Program

Students who need funds to complete their education may be eligible for the Monetary Award Program’s (MAP) grant assistance. To find out if your children are eligible for these grants, firstly call the Illinois Student Assistance Commission at 800-899-4722.


The Temporary Assistance for Needy Families Program will assist single moms in Illinois with utility bill payments. If you meet the program’s requirements, you may be eligible for a time-based cash grant as well as transitional services. Call the DHS Help Line at 1-800-843-6154 to apply for TANF benefits.

In conclusion, you can see that single moms in Illinois can apply for various grants.

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!