Grants for Single Mothers in Utah

Sharing is caring!

Last Updated on September 29, 2023 by Lori Pace

The state of Utah offers many grants or assistance programs to help people, especially single moms, go back to school, get a job, and many more. However, if you are looking for grants for single mothers in a different state, follow the link provided.

In this article, single mothers with low income can look into the state’s many options if they need a helping hand.

Single Moms Assistance in Utah

Family Employment Program (FEP)

The Family Employment Program (FEP) is Utah’s Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF). Single mothers receive temporary funds not to exceed 3 years. Apply by finding a Department of Workforce Services (DWS) office near you.

Contact Utah’s DWS at (801) 526-9675 or

First on our list is the FEP or the Family Employment Program. It’s Utah’s Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF).
Single mothers can receive temporary funds that won’t exceed 3 years. You can apply by finding a Department of Workforce Services (DWS) office near you, or you may also contact Utah’s DWS at (801) 526-9675 or

Food Stamp Program

The state of Utah has a Food Stamp Program known as SNAP, or the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.
You can apply for food stamps online, contact them by phone, or visit them in person by visiting the nearest DWS Office in your area. For more information regarding the program, please give them a call at (801) 526-WORK (9675) or email

Healthy food clean eating selection: fruit, vegetable, seeds, superfood, cereal, leaf vegetable on gray concrete background, flat lay

Payment-to-Parent Assisted Child Care Program

The state of Utah provides a state-funded child care assistance program through the Payment-to-Parent Assisted Child Care Program.

You can apply for child care benefits online or make an appointment by calling (801) 526-0950 or 1-866-435-7414.


Medicaid is now available for low-income individuals and families of different ages and socioeconomic backgrounds.
Apply for Medicaid on the DWS website or find the nearest office in your area.
To determine your eligibility at (801) 526-0950 or 1-866-435-7414.

You may also call the Medicaid customer service line at (801) 538-6155 for Salt Lake City residents or 1-800-662-9651 for Utah residents.


Single mothers who meet the eligibility requirements can apply for Utah’s CHIP or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP). 
To apply, download and mail in an application or call 1-877-543-7669 to have the application mailed to you.

If you have any questions about the program, you may reach out to them at 1-877-KIDS-NOW or


The Housing Authority of Utah County has the Section 8 Voucher Program (HAUC).
To apply, first, you’ll need to fill out an eligibility form that you can download online. You may also contact the HAUC Main Office at (801) 373-8333 for questions.

a affordable housing pictures for ig posts


The Home Energy Assistance Target (HEAT) Program serves low-income residents in Utah. The application process begins on November 1.

Contact your county’s HEAT office to make an appointment. The state office is available at (866) 205-4357.

Unemployment Insurance

The state of Utah assists unemployed single moms and their families with Unemployment Insurance (UI). Go to the DWS website and file your claim online or by phone. You can also search for jobs or review the program’s eligibility requirements, and you can also find the nearest DWS office in your area and ask about the grant.


The University of Utah provides information about grant programs for students with financial needs.
One such grant is the Pell Grant. Recipients of the Pell Grant also qualify for the Higher Education Success Stipend Program (HESSP).

You can contact the university directly at or (801) 581-6211 if you have questions and/or clarifications about the program.

Head Start

Head Start is another program that single mothers can benefit from as it offers comprehensive health and educational services for children. To apply for the program, contact the Head Start center in or around your city.

Moreover, you may reach out to them for questions at 1-866-763-6481 or email

In Utah, single mothers with low incomes can now continue with their lives because they can find help. Most grants are easy to apply when you send in a FAFSA application. Therefore, see how Utah can help improve your situation.

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!