Grants for Single Mothers in Texas

Sharing is caring!

Last Updated on September 27, 2023 by Lori Pace

There are many things that Texas does well, and luckily providing government and non-government help to single moms is one of them.

For instance, Texas is the only state in the country where everybody has access to affordable housing and quality education. Therefore, single moms are well-cared for by a scheme that aims to assist their families in moving forward.

Texas Government Help for Single Moms

If you’re looking for a specific city in Texas, follow the appropriate links below. However, if you need to find grants for single moms in a different state, visit the provided link.


The Texas Public Educational Grant (TPEG) is a stipend for low-income students in Texas. The funds are distributed based on financial need and residence in the state. To assess your eligibility, fill out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Complete the Texas Application for State Financial Aid if you can’t.

Contact your school’s financial aid office to learn more about grants. One source of knowledge is the University of Texas’ One Stop Enrollment Center. You can reach them by phone at (210) 458-8000 or by email at

Head Start

For low-income families with children, the Texas Head Start Association (THSA) offers nutrition and education services. To get started, look for a Head Start center in your city. Contact the Texas Health and Human Services Association by mail or email at

TEXAS (Towards Excellence, Access, and Success) Grant

Towards Excellence, Access, and Success (TEXAS) is a state grant. You must be a low-income state citizen. Starting January 1, you can apply for this grant when you fill out the FAFSA.

To learn more, contact the financial aid office at your school. More details are available from Tarleton State University at (254) 968-9070 or


Unemployment Insurance is a type of temporary assistance for people out of work. Apply for unemployment insurance, administer a current claim, or look up details about them.

Call the telecenter for unemployment insurance at (800) 558-8321. Call Tele-Serv at (800) 558-8321 for general information.


The Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) offers a Child Care Assistance Program for low-income families. Determine your eligibility and apply at a Workforce Solutions location near you.

To find child care providers in your city, dial 2-1-1. Use the website’s contact form to get in touch with Texas Child Care Solutions.

a photo of a group of multicultural children, black, hispanic, white, dressed in casual summer clothing, standing in a school classroom near a bookshelf, with various facial expressions, looking at the camera. Image is captured by a Nikon - Z 9 8K Video Mirrorless Camera, with NIKKOR Z DX 16-50mm lens.


In Texas, single moms will participate in the Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) program. Online, you can find a list of eligibility criteria. If you are registered, call (800) 942-3678 or go to a local WIC clinic to apply.


Children’s Medicaid and CHIP programs will provide free or low-cost healthcare to children of single moms. Apply online or by calling 1-877-543-7669. The telephone number for the CHIP call center is 1-800-647-6558.


Medicaid benefits for low-income families with or without children are available through the Texas Department of Health and Human Services. The Texas Health and Human Services Commission allows you to apply for benefits online (HHSC).

To get a referral to a provider in your state, call the Medicaid hotline at 1-800-252-8263 or dial 2-1-1.

Photo of a professional Asian psychologist in a white coat, the doctor is doing psychotherapy for a cute child in a bright, warm, cozy and loving environment


The Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program is a federal program that helps Texans meet their nutritional needs. It is provided by the state and distributed to single mothers who meet certain low-income criteria. On the Your Texas Benefits website, you can apply for food stamps. To learn about local food aid services, dial 2-1-1.


TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) is accessible in every county in Texas. Receive emergency cash to cover the costs of food, shelter, and clothes. Use the Your Texas Benefits website to apply. If you cannot apply online, you can download and mail an application to the HHSC office. To get help over the radio, dial 2-1-1.

Texas provides opportunities for single mothers to better themselves and their families. Look at these initiatives that can provide low-income people with various resources.

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!