Grants for Single Mothers in Iowa

Last Updated on January 16, 2024 by Lori Pace

Iowa provides financial aid, food stamps, health and wellness, and other assistance to single-parent and low-income families.

As a single mom, are you looking for opportunities to apply for grants? Residents of Iowa will be able to find out where they can apply for help on this list. However, if you’re looking for a personal grant in a different state, follow the link provided.

Single-Parent Financial Aid and Grants in Iowa

Family Investment Program

The Family Investment Program (FIP), a lifeline that I have personally turned to as a single mother in Iowa, is an integral part of Iowa’s Temporary Assistance to Needy Families program. FIP provides crucial support to single moms facing financial hardships, offering temporary cash aid to those who meet specific income and job criteria.

If you’re in need, and I know firsthand how vital this assistance can be, you can visit your local Department of Human Services (DHS) office or reach out to the Department of Human Services Field Operations at 515-281-6899. Remember, the more you know about the eligibility criteria and the application process, the better prepared you’ll be to secure the help you need.

Food Assistance Program

The Iowa Department of Human Services provides food assistance to low-income families who qualify. Participants in the program can purchase new, healthy foods for their families due to the program. Call the Assistance Hotline at 1-877-347-5678 to register for food assistance.

processed food and suger blog post

Child Care Assistance

The Department of Human Services offers the Child Care Assistance Program to help working parents find affordable child care for their children. Child Care Assistance is provided when applicants meet income and job criteria, so you may check your eligibility by calling the Centralized Child Care Assistance Eligibility Unit at 866-448-4605.

Iowa Health and Wellness Plan

The Iowa Health and Wellness Plan is a lifeline that I, as a single mother, have personally relied on for comprehensive healthcare coverage. This program offers essential medical services to low-income families who meet specific criteria. I encourage single mothers to explore this option.

You can initiate the application process by contacting the DHS Hotline at 1-877-347-5678. Remember that understanding the specific eligibility criteria is key to accessing the healthcare assistance you and your family need.

Healthy and Well Kids in Iowa

HAWK-I is a medical support service for children from low-income households. The program is designed to meet children’s medical and dental needs under the age of 19. If you meet the income criteria and are not already covered by any public healthcare plan, you will apply to have your children covered. Contact the HAWK-I office at 1-800-257-8563 if you have any questions.

Pediatric dentist examining a little boys teeth in the dentists chair

Unemployment Insurance

The Iowa Unemployment Insurance Administration will help single moms searching to get unemployment benefits. You can contact the Customer Service Team at 888-848-7442 if you want to file a claim.

Iowa Tuition Grant

The Iowa Tuition Grant is a lifeline for low-income families like mine, providing support to children enrolled in private colleges or universities in Iowa. This grant’s funding is subject to availability, but it can cover up to four years of full-time study, which I’ve personally witnessed make a significant difference.

To check if your children are eligible for this grant, I recommend reaching out to the Local College Aid’s Information Service Center at 877-272-4456. They can provide you with accurate and up-to-date information to ensure you’re on the right path to securing educational support for your child.

Head Start and Early Head Start

Head Start and Early Head Start programs, an option that I personally found invaluable as a single mother in Iowa, offer essential early childhood education and childcare. While they are open to eligible families, you must meet specific income criteria to enroll your children and benefit from the high-quality education and care they provide. These programs are administered by the Iowa Department of Education, and I recommend reaching out for assistance.

You can start the application process by calling 1-866-763-6481, and I know firsthand the positive impact these programs can have on your children’s development.


As a single mother who has navigated the complexities of the Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) program, I understand the importance of accessing this vital support. TANF, overseen by Iowa’s Department of Human Services, is designed to assist single mothers meeting specific job and income criteria with temporary financial aid, which can cover essential needs like food, schooling, or housing.

If you’re considering applying for TANF, and I can attest to the difference it can make, don’t hesitate to reach out for help. The Assistance Office can guide you through the application process; call them at 1-800-972-2017 to start the journey toward securing the benefits you need.


In conclusion, from my own experience as a single mother in Iowa, I want to stress the availability of these invaluable services. Financial grants, among other forms of support, play a vital role in ensuring our children’s well-being and happiness.

I urge you to explore the opportunities provided in this guide, and if you find yourself in need, don’t hesitate to reach out to the relevant authorities directly. I’ve found these services to be instrumental in securing my family’s future, and I believe they can do the same for you.

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!