Grants for Single Mothers in Oregon

Last Updated on January 29, 2024 by Lori Pace

Being a single mother myself, I understand the importance of grants and assistance programs available in our state. Oregon offers a range of programs aimed at helping single mothers and low-income families during tough times. These programs are funded by both the state and non-governmental organizations. In this article, I’ll provide valuable insights into where and how single mothers like me can access the support they need.

However, if you’re looking specifically for the weird and wonderful city of Portland or another US state’s grants for single moms, use the appropriate links.

Oregon Single Moms Grants and Assistance


As someone who has utilized the Oregon Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program firsthand, I can attest to its importance. TANF offers financial assistance to single mothers, helping them cover essential bills and work towards self-sufficiency. To apply for TANF benefits, you can contact the Department of Human Services’ Assistance Office at 866-279-3290. For more details, visit the official TANF program page [insert hyperlink] on their website.


Having navigated the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) myself, I understand its importance in providing food assistance to low-income families with minor children. If you’re wondering about your eligibility for SNAP benefits or have questions about this federally sponsored program, I recommend reaching out to the Department of Human Services (DHS) Assistance Office at 971-673-2422. They can provide you with accurate information and guidance.

Oregon Health Plan

The Oregon Health Plan is a federal-state-funded public health-care support initiative to assist single moms and low-income households in obtaining medical and dental coverage for their families. OHB provides various plans to fit a variety of needs and income levels. Call the Client Services Office at 1-800-273-0557 to apply for assistance or speak with an attorney.


The Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) program in Oregon is a nutritional and healthcare assistance program. Moreover, it assists pregnant and breastfeeding women and their children with their basic needs. WIC provides services such as food, medical examinations, and therapy. Contact the Oregon Health Authority Office at 971-673-1222 to apply for WIC if you are a single mother.

Employment-Related Day Care

I’ve personally benefited from the Employment Related Day Care (ERDC) program in Oregon, which assists low-income families with childcare costs. Administered by the Department of Human Services (DHS), ERDC is a vital resource for single mothers like me. To apply for this subsidy program, you can contact the DHS Office at 866-279-3290. For a detailed guide on eligibility and the application process, visit the official ERDC program page on their website.

Photo of Children at day care

Head Start

Having been a single mother, I’ve personally experienced the benefits of the Head Start program for my children’s education. Head Start is a federal education assistance initiative that plays a crucial role in helping children and their families excel in school. It provides a range of services, including nutritious food supplies, school preparation activities, and essential therapy for social, behavioral, and emotional development. If you’re a single mom interested in enrolling your child in the Head Start program, you can reach out to the Oregon Head Start Association at 503-580-4722.


I’ve personally applied for the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) in Oregon, so I can confirm its eligibility criteria and benefits. LIHEAP assists low-income households by providing utility bill payment assistance and even weatherization programs to make homes more energy-efficient. If you have minor children and meet the job and income standards, you are eligible for this program. To start the application process for LIHEAP benefits, contact the Oregon Housing and Community Services office at 508-986-2000.

Having faced financial emergencies as a single mother in Oregon, I can attest to the invaluable support these services offer. They are lifelines that provide much-needed financial assistance when life takes unexpected turns, ensuring that single moms like me can navigate these challenges with greater stability.

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!