Grants for Single Mothers in Delaware

Sharing is caring!

Last Updated on January 30, 2024 by Lori Pace

As a single mother who has navigated the challenges of low income, I can confidently say that Delaware, despite its compact size, is committed to supporting every single mom and low-income family through grants and various forms of assistance. I’ve experienced firsthand the unwavering dedication of Delaware to help families like mine. In this article, I’ll share information about the invaluable services available to single moms, providing reassurance for those in need.

If you are looking for assistance or a single mom grant in another state, use the link provided.

Delaware Workforce Individual Training Account (ITA)

As someone who’s faced the challenges of unemployment as a single mother, I can attest to the importance of the Individual Training Account (ITA) grants provided by the Delaware Department of Labor. These grants offer vital support to unemployed or underemployed single moms, offering an opportunity to secure a quality education and enhance job prospects. I know from personal experience that the application process takes into account your current qualifications, educational background, and work experience, ensuring a tailored approach to your needs.

Take steps to apply by calling or visiting a Dept of Labor Division of Employment and Training center near you. For general inquiries, contact the Delaware Workforce Development Board at

Single Mom Unemployment Insurance Delaware

Having faced the uncertainty of unemployment as a single mother, I understand the significance of the benefits provided by the state’s Division of Unemployment Insurance. These benefits extend support to both new job seekers and those who’ve been in the job market for the long term.

To file an Unemployment Insurance (UI) claim, you can visit the Delaware Works website—a resource I’ve personally used during my journey. For assistance, residents of New Castle County can dial (302) 761-6576, and residents of Kent and Sussex counties should reach out to (800) 794-3032.

Section 8 Program

As a single mother who has benefited from the Section 8 program, I can vouch for its significance. This program provides crucial housing vouchers to individuals and families in need, and I’ve personally seen how it can make a difference. For Kent and Sussex County residents, the Delaware State Housing Authority (DSHA) offers hundreds of these vouchers.

To discover available housing units, you can reach out at 1-877-428-8844. The application process is accessible online, with the option to download a paper application from the DSHA website or contact a local office for assistance. For general inquiries, you can also call (302) 739-4263 to access the public information service.

Delaware Head Start for Any Single Mom

I’ve seen firsthand the positive impact the Delaware Head Start can have on low-income families. This federally funded initiative provides vital support to children from birth to five years old, creating a strong educational foundation. To determine if you meet the poverty level criteria, you can easily visit the Department of Education’s website, just as I did when I was considering this program. To find the nearest Head Start program and initiate the application process, you can reach out via phone or visit their website.

Child Care Subsidy

Navigating the challenges of single motherhood, I understand the importance of affordable childcare. That’s why I want to share my experience with the subsidies offered by the Division of Social Services (DSS) to help cover childcare costs. These subsidies take into account factors such as age, income limits, and financial needs, ensuring assistance for those who need it most.

To apply for these benefits, I recommend visiting the ASSIST website by DSS, where you can find clear guidance, just as I did. Additionally, don’t hesitate to contact the DSS office in your area for personalized support. For assistance in finding the right childcare provider, you can call 1-800-220-3092.

Delaware Healthy Children Program (DHCP)

I’ve personally found peace of mind in the Delaware Healthy Children Program (DHCP) as a single mother from a low-income background. This program provides essential healthcare for children in families like mine.

To start the application process, you can either call 1-800-996-9969 or print an application from the DHCP website, just as I did when I needed assistance. Alternatively, for added convenience, you can apply online through the user-friendly ASSIST website.

a mother lying on a hospital bed with her child in intensive care


I’ve personally benefited from Delaware’s Medicaid program as a low-income individual who qualifies. This program offers crucial healthcare resources, and I want to share how to access them. Begin by learning more about Medicaid’s resources and programs, just as I did. Then, to initiate the application process, I recommend visiting the user-friendly ASSIST website, which provides clear steps and guidance.

For any inquiries or assistance, don’t hesitate to contact Medicaid customer support at (302) 571-4900 or (800) 464-4357. They’re there to help, as they’ve helped me.

Food Supplement Program (FSP)

As a single mother who has relied on the Food Supplement Program (FSP), I can attest to its vital role in providing nutrition for low-income families. SNAP, also known as the Food Supplement Program, is administered by the DSS, and I’ve found that applying through ASSIST is the most efficient way to get started.

If you have questions or need assistance, you can reach the SNAP hotline at (800) 221-5689 or 1-800-372-2022.

Delaware Energy Assistance Program (DEAP) for Single Mothers

I want to highlight the importance of the Delaware Energy Assistance Program (DEAP). This program provides crucial support to low-income households. Eligibility is determined based on household income, and I recommend taking advantage of this assistance.

To start the application process, you can call the National Energy Assistance Referral Hotline at 1-866-674-6327, as I did. For additional guidance on how to apply or more details, you can also reach out to Catholic Charities in your area.

TANF Cash Assistance – Single Mom Grant in Delaware

I’ve personally experienced the positive impact of the temporary cash assistance programs provided by the DSS as a single mother in need. These programs, including General Assistance and Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), are lifelines for families facing financial challenges. To initiate the process, I recommend filling out a TANF questionnaire online, just as I did, and mailing it to the DSS office nearest to you. It’s a crucial step toward accessing the assistance you and your family may require.


Being a single mother who has benefited from these programs, I want to emphasize that Delaware provides valuable services to support single moms, their children, and even relatives in need. It’s essential to determine if you qualify for each company and organization before starting the application process, just as I did. These services have been a significant help in my journey, and I hope they can assist you too.

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!