Grants for Single Mothers in Maine

Sharing is caring!

Last Updated on September 27, 2023 by Lori Pace

Maine is a safe and friendly state, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t single moms and low-income families requiring public assistance programs. Finding assistance as a single mother can be a daunting task, especially with the pandemic situation.

However, this page will help single mothers living in Maine find suitable grants to provide a helping hand for their daily to monthly needs. If you are looking for information on grants for single moms in another state, you’re welcome to follow the provided link.

Otherwise, please read on.

Maine Public Assistance Programs for Single Moms

Office of Family Independence

The OFI can help single mothers with a wide range of assistance programs, ranging from cash loans to food supplies. To join the program, you may get in touch with them by calling the office at 1-800-442-6003 to see how they can assist you.

Food Supplement Program

Like most states, Maine also has SNAP or Special Nutrition Assistance Program. Single mothers can be eligible for food stamps that they can use in participating grocery stores as long as they meet the program requirements. They can use these stamps to purchase nutritious food, especially if they are short on budget.

To see if you qualify and learn more about the program, you can contact the Department of Agriculture at 202-690-7442.


MaineCare, also known as Medicaid, is the federally-funded public healthcare program designed to assist low-income citizens of Maine. The program benefits families and individuals that meet income requirements and ensures that they have access to quality medical and dental care services.

If you would like to apply for MainCare Cover, contact the Provider Services office at 866-690-5585.

Child Care Subsidy Program

Maine’s CCSP assistance initiative can help single mothers pay for their child care services. If you are currently working and would like to apply for subsidized care, you can call the Office of Family Independence at 1-877-680-5866.

Head Start

Head Start is a federal program/initiative that provides quality child care services to families on a limited or low income.

The program promotes school readiness and social and emotional development to its beneficiaries. To apply for the program, you can call the Office of Child and Family Services at 207-624-7900.

Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program

Single mothers from low-income families might be eligible for the Housing Choice Voucher Program’s benefits. This is a federal initiative to help less fortunate families secure a permanent home.

To apply for this program, you’ll need to get in touch with the Maine Housing Authority at 207-626-4600.

Women, Infants, and Children

WIC or the Women, Infants, and Children Assistance Program provides nutritional and basic healthcare for pregnant and breastfeeding women and their children.

To apply for WIC benefits, contact the Maine Department of Human Resources and Health Services at 207-287-3991.

Women Infants And Children

LIHEAP for single mothers

LIHEAP or the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program is administered by the Maine Housing Authority and funded at a federal level. The program can help you pay for a portion of your utility bills and save on your monthly electricity costs.

To see if you and your family are eligible for the program, give them a call at 1-800-452-4668.

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!