Assistance Programs for American Indian Women

Last Updated on January 25, 2024 by Lori Pace

Several assistance programs throughout the United States seek to give financial assistance to Native American women. Therefore, they can succeed in being financially self-sufficient or assisting in times of need.

This article will show you some of the most notable programs available below.

Financial Assistance for Native American Women

Cash Assistance

As someone who has personally benefited from the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) Financial Aid and Social Services program, I can attest to the valuable support it provides to Native American women. The BIA offers essential funding for utilities, housing, clothing, and food supplies, helping individuals like myself achieve financial self-sufficiency. To apply for this program, you can visit your nearest BIA regional office, access the Division of Human Services website, or contact the office directly at 202-513-7622.

Help With Food

As someone who has navigated the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations, I can vouch for its assistance to Native American households. This program not only supports those residing on reservations but also extends its help to American Indians living in nearby areas who meet specific income criteria. To check your eligibility for benefits, reach out to your local Indian Tribal Organization or State Department. For further information, you can access the program’s application page and locate your nearest agency through the FDP contact list or contact the USDA National Hunger Hotline at 1-866-348-6479.

Help With Shelter and Housing

As someone who has experienced the benefits of the Native American Housing Assistance and Self-Determination Act, I can affirm its role in supporting Indian tribes in achieving affordable housing. Administered by the Office of Native American Programs (ONAP), this act enables tribes to design, build, and maintain low-cost housing within Native communities and on reservations. To learn more about the ONAP programs and how they can benefit you, I recommend visiting the ONAP Funding Page or contacting their office at 202-708-1455.

Help With Energy and Utilities

As someone who has benefited from the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), I can affirm its role in providing energy assistance to low-income households. This federally sponsored initiative extends support in the form of bill aid and even emergency electric supplies. To check your eligibility for assistance and gather more information, I recommend contacting the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program directly at 202-401-9351 or visiting their website.

Help With Telephone and Internet Bills

The Tribal Lands Lifeline Program will assist people residing on tribal lands with their phone bills. The software will save you up to $34.25 on your monthly service fees – it’s a $25 increase on the standard low-income subscriber discount. Call the Federal Communications Commission at 1-888-225-5322 or visit their website for more information or apply for the Tribal Lands Lifeline service.

Help With Childcare

The Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program provides childcare and employment assistance. Only Native American Indians who are unemployed or retrenched and are members of a federally recognized tribe or village are eligible for this program. Visit the Health and Human Services Contacts page for a directory of TANF departments or the Tribal section of the web for more information on particular TANF programs.

Help With Medical and Dental Care

As someone who has explored the Health Insurance Marketplace for American Indians and Alaskan Natives, I can confirm the availability of subsidized healthcare coverage. This marketplace offers flexibility, allowing individuals to choose between private insurance plans and, for children, Medicaid or CHIP. If you have any questions or need assistance, you can reach out to the Marketplace Call Center at 1-855-889-43225 or 1-800-318-2596.

Help With Legal Matters

As someone who has sought legal assistance through the Native American Rights Fund (NARF), I can attest to their commitment to helping Indian tribes and groups with legal matters. NARF operates from offices in Washington, D.C., Anchorage, Alaska, and Boulder, Colorado. For more information about their programs, feel free to reach out to their main office at 303-447-8760 or visit their website.

Help From Other Groups

As a member of a federally recognized Native American tribe, I can confirm that you may be eligible for valuable grants and scholarships from the US Bureau of Indian Affairs. Additionally, the ‘Sources of Financial Aid Available to American Indian Students’ booklet, provided by the Indian Resource Development at New Mexico State University (free for New Mexico students), is an excellent resource. For Native American students pursuing agriculture, computer science, or statistics, a USDA Agricultural Scholarship is also available. To learn more about these opportunities, I recommend contacting the office at 1-505-646-1347 or reaching out to for program details.


Based on my own experiences, it’s evident that numerous opportunities exist to help Native Americans achieve financial self-sufficiency and independence. To further explore these avenues, consider looking into general financial assistance programs tailored to women for additional resources.

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!