Single Mothers Assistance in Indianapolis

Sharing is caring!

Last Updated on February 1, 2024 by Lori Pace

There are organizations, agencies, and companies in Indianapolis that can help see single parents through difficult times by providing assistance.

Single parents assistance in Indianapolis

Catholic Charities assists Single Parents 

The Catholic Charities owns a Crisis Office that can help with emergency needs (food, clothing, rent, and utilities). Funds for assistance are limited, but there is no need for appointments. Visit their website or call them at 317-236-1512 for more information.

Southeast Community Services

The Southeast Community Services gives job employment training through their Center for Working Families. They own a Senior Center too, which helps people of the age 55 and above by providing them their basic needs and assistance with utility bills. Visit their website or call them at 317-236-7400 for more information.

Christ Church Cathedral

The Christ Church Cathedral provides financial aid to those in need, regardless if they’re a part of the church or not through their Human Needs Ministry. Start your application by visiting them, phone applications are not entertained and not available. Bring a photo ID, and a copy of your bill when you apply for utility assistance, or a copy of your lease when you apply for rental assistance. They will send a maximum of $50 to your landlord or utility company once every two years. Visit their website or call 317-636-4577 for more information.

Forest Manor Multi Service Center

Forest Manor provides low-income families with their basic needs, food, rent, and utilities through their Family Resource Development Program. Bring a photo ID, social security number, birth certificate, and proof of income to your application for the program. Visit their website or call 317-545-1204 for more information. 

Martin Luther King Community Center

The Martin Luther King Community Center offers an Energy Assistance Program that is open for application at their center from 9 am to 4 pm. They offer career training and coaching too. For program inquiries, call the United Way at 211. Visit their website or call 317-923-4581 for more information.

Community Alliance of the Far Eastside

The Community Alliance of the Far Eastside (CAFE) offers financial assistance with winter heating bills to low-income residents. They provide on-the-job training and coaching too, to help low-income individuals and families get back on track. Visit their website or call 317-890-3288 for more information.

Indianapolis Branch of Indiana Legal Services

The Indianapolis Branch of Indiana Legal Services (ILAS) has free legal assistance to low-income single mothers with an income of at or below 125% of the federal poverty level, and a resident of the following counties: Boone, Hamilton, Hancock, Hendricks, Johnson, Marion, Morgan, and Shelby. They prioritize women, children, and elderly clients with cases like adoption, custody, divorce, bankruptcy, housing, and debt. Visit their website or call 317-635-9538 for more information.

Concord Neighborhood Center

The Concord Neighborhood Center aims to help low-income Southside residents become self-sufficient. They offer basic needs assistance, job coaching and training, and rent and utility assistance. Visit their website or call 317-637-4376 for more information.

Community Services Department

The Community Services Department of Indianapolis, working with Obama’s Homelessness Prevention Fund, has rental assistance, eviction prevention services, and other types of housing aid. For more information, call 317-926-4357 or 317-233-1814.

Anna’s House   

Anna’s House offers The Lord’s Pantry, a food pantry that provides weekly groceries, summer breakfast, community dinners, and financial aid for rent and utilities. This organization offers these services to those living in Stringtown, Indianapolis. They also give free financial literacy and ESL classes. Visit their website or call 317-631-5504 to learn more.

Neighborhood Christian Legal Clinic

The Neighborhood Christian Legal Clinic (NCLC) gives free legal advice to low-income individuals. They cover cases like bankruptcy, expungement, family law, housing, foreclosure, and immigration issues. The NCLC can help you with your taxes and the IRS with free legal representation. Visit their website or call 1-877-230-7521 to learn more.


The LIHEAP provides financial assistance of $50 to low-income residents in need to pay for winter heating. The program comes with assistance with deposits and disconnection fees. Start your application through the Community Action Agency in your county. It is required that your income should be at or below 150% of the federal poverty level. Bring a utility bill, proof of address, and proof of a Social Security Number, and be prepared for a site visit for verification. View your local Community Action Agency phone number online.

There are a lot of organizations willing to extend a hand for you, simply check if you’re qualified and start your application for assistance.

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!