Single Mothers Assistance in Montana

Last Updated on September 14, 2023 by Lori Pace

The following organizations in Montana are made to help single mothers who are struggling financially and in need of assistance in terms of basic necessities. Browse the resources below to find the organization that is best suited to help with your needs.

Montana assistance for single mothers

Telephone Discount for Single Mothers

LifeLine is an assistance program designed to help single mothers with their telephone bills. LifeLine gives $9.25 discount on landline or wireless telephone bills for eligible individuals. Only one phone is accredited per household. Enhanced LifeLine is another program which gives greater monthly discounts on telephone bills and a 50% discount on new service installation for eligible residents of Tribal land. Contact your telephone service provider or visit their website to apply.

Assistance with Food

The following are assistance programs that provide supplemental nutritious food to eligible individuals and families:

  • The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) provides nutritious food through the Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card. The EBT card is the same in appearance and function as a debit card. To apply, call 800-332-2272 or visit their website.
  • Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) provides food for eligible pregnant, lactating, and postpartum women, infants, and children of ages five and below. Call 800-433-4298 or 406-444-5533 or visit their website to apply.
  • BackPack Program gives children healthy and easy-to-prepare foods that they can make at home on weekends or during school vacations. Call 406-721-3825 or visit their website to know more.
  • Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) provides food to eligible American Indian and non-Indian households that live on a reservation or approved areas nearby. Beneficiaries receive a food package every month which the beneficiary will select from over 70 different options. Visit their website should you wish to know more.

Housing for Single Mothers – Eviction and Foreclosure

The Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Approved Housing Counseling Agencies provides accredited counselors that can help you with your housing situation. Know more about them on their website. You can also know more about foreclosure here.

Weatherization and Low-Income Energy Assistance Program for Single Mothers

The Low-Income Energy Assistance Program provides assistance in payment of energy bills. This program prioritizes the elderly, people with disabilities, and children. They also offer weatherization programs to further help reduce utility bills. Find out more about weatherization and their other programs by calling 800-332-2272 or by visiting their website.

Other Resources: Northwestern EnergyEnergy Share MontanaFergus Electric Cooperative


The following are organizations that help with housing situations:

  • The Poverello Center is located at 1110 W. Broadway St., Missoula; contact number is 406-728-1809. They provide temporary emergency shelter, regular meals, showers, basic healthcare needs, and more. To learn more, visit their website.
  • Rescue Mission Women and Family Shelter is located at 2520 1st Avenue North, Great Falls; contact number is 406-259-3105. They serve women and young children. They offer laundry facilities and daily healthy meals. Know more about them here.
  • Find out shelter services for veterans here.
Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!