Single Mothers Assistance In Connecticut

Sharing is caring!

Last Updated on September 13, 2023 by Lori Pace

There are many organizations to help you through your problems. This is the list of assistance programs that may help single moms in Connecticut.

Assistance for single moms in Connecticut

Connecticut Housing Finance Authority (CHFA)

The CHFA offers homeowners that are at risk of losing their homes services like the Emergency Mortgage Assistance Program (EMAP) and free counseling services. Call 860-571-3500 or 877-571-CHFA or visit the CHFA website to learn more.

Emergency Mortgage Assistance Program (EMAP) for Single Mothers in Connecticut

If you’re a homeowner in need of a temporary mortgage assistance loan, call 844-CT1-HOME and find out if you qualify.

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) for Single Mothers in Connecticut

Those in need of quality food assistance can look into the SNAP program. Visit the Department of Social Services website or contact them at their food hotline at 860-424-5030 to learn more about the eligibility requirements. You may also be qualified for medical or cash benefits. Receive the emergency food benefits within the 7 days after the start of your application

These are the requirements to become qualified:

  • Income is less than $150 per month and assets of $100 or less.
  • Monthly rent/mortgage and utility expenses exceeding total monthly income and liquid assets.
  • A Destitute migrant or seasonal farm worker
  • ID (for the first month of expedited SNAP)

Free Dental Care

Low-cost or free dental care is available in Connecticut for low-income individuals and families. These clinics are state-funded, non-profit agencies, or university clinics.

These are the links that can lead you to free or low-cost dental care:

Connecticut Mission of Mercy (CTMOM)

The Connecticut Foundation for Dental Outreach (CFDO – 2007) has a goal of improving the oral health of the working poor in Connecticut. They offer a two-day dental care clinic to those who are uninsured and underserved. Learn more about the clinics through the CFDO page or call 860-863-5940 


The Department of Energy (DOE) has a Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) for low-income families that need energy efficiency improvement. They have a contract with local governments and non-profit agencies to provide the ones in need of home energy upgrades. Visit their website or call 800-286-2000 or locally 860-947-2000 to learn more about weatherization.

Operation Fuel Bank

Operation Fuel Bank, a private and non-profit energy assistance program provides assistance in paying for energy bills of those not qualified for state or federal assistance. The maximum income of a household that they assist is $250 for the heating season. Payments are done directly to the company that supplies heating fuel or utility services. Start your application through the local fuel bank, and it’s encouraged to make an appointment before stopping by. Please bring a document that will verify your income and the latest fuel or utility bill.

Home of Hope

The Home of Hope provides homeless single mothers and their children with a one-year transitional housing program. They help single mothers and their children through the process of securing themselves. The organization has a safe shelter, food, clothing, counseling, and community referrals. It is part of their goal to locate appropriate child care for the women’s children. Visit the Women Shelters website or call 203-437-8896 to learn more.

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!