Rental Assistance Programs For Single Moms

Sharing is caring!

Last Updated on September 12, 2023 by Lori Pace

Paying rent every month can be a tough balancing act, which is why low-income housing and help with rent for single moms can be a lifesaver.

In this article, you’ll find all types of resources, providers from federal agencies to nonprofit organizations that can provide rent assistance and other services for single mothers.

Help With Rent For Single Moms

Salvation Army Housing Assistance

Faithful to its call, The Salvation Army supports housing and homeless services for single mothers and other individuals. The Salvation Army can provide with either temporary or long-term housing needs.
The Salvation Army is also found all over the United States.

They also offer various services from emergency food, clothing, and shelter. You can also request additional services such as youth activities, church ministries, missing persons’ services, and The Salvation Army’s likes.

Catholic Charities Help With Rent For Single Moms

Single mothers can also find resources in Catholic Charities USA, especially for those in need of emergency shelter, assistance on rental places, resources for preventing foreclosure, and even service on attaining long-term and affordable housing in your state.

You can find 160 charities in the US and contact one in your state to secure a place you can call your own, or visit the link above to get started.

YWCA Assistance For Single Mothers

The YWCA is another excellent resource for low-income women and single mothers. They provide a range of services such as racial justice, anti-domestic violence, job advancements, and many more! Visit their website for more information.

FEMA Housing Portal Help With Rent For Single Moms

In hard times, especially after a disaster, FEMA helps you find a new, affordable place to live. The FEMA housing portal allows you to look up from local selections of apartments, condos, townhomes, or mobile homes to single-family homes.

Narrow your selections down by choosing the number of bedrooms or bathrooms, along with the maximum cost and lease term for your budget. Call FEMA to ask about housing resources or visit the website for more information.

HOME Investment Partnerships Program

Another federal assistance program is the HOME Investment Partnerships Program. This program promotes affordable housing in the US. This program provides grants to states, using funds to build or restore houses for low-income individuals.

Housing Counseling Assistance Program

For single mothers who need foreclosure and mortgage advice, the Housing Counselling Assistance Program is the place to go! Find all the information you need about renting a home, buying your first home, owning a home, preventing homelessness, and many more.

To receive affordable or free housing advice, contact your local Housing Counseling Agency (HCA), or drop a call at (800) 569-4287. You may also visit the website above for more information.

HUD Public Housing Program For Single Parents

Another primary resource for low-income individuals and single parents can approach the HUD’s Public Housing Program. It serves millions of residents in the US, especially those living in difficult situations.
Check your eligibility, which they base on income limits.

Review the requirements and fill out an application, visit their website, or you may also call or go to the nearest HUD field office in your state.

Rural Rental Assistance

The USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) also provides assistance to build apartments for low-income individuals. Contact your state’s Rural Development field office or visit the website for more information.

Section 8 Rental Subsidy

Single mothers can apply for a Section 8 Rental Certificate to choose from various affordable housing. This program allows them to live in an affordable rental unit funded by a PHA (public housing authority).

Contact your local PHA to apply for a certificate, visit their website, or get in touch with the HUD Office of Rental Assistance.

Social Serve Assistance Program Help With Rent For Single Moms

Finding affordable housing can be a struggle, but Social Serve is here to save the day. A nonprofit organization provides many services ranging from life skills counseling, disaster relocation services, job training, and many more. Send them an email to or call them at 1-877-428-8844 or (704) 334-8722 to help you in your search for your next home rental or home purchase.

Suppose you haven’t found what you are looking for. In that case, you can check out our article on housing assistance for single mothers for more information.

Lori Pace
Lori Pace

Lori Pace is a single mother of three daughters ages 7 and under. As a working mom from home, she balances kids, work and two crazy dogs with humor and love. Follow Lori as she honestly gives tips and advice based on her own experiences as a single mom!