Last Updated on October 16, 2023 by Lori Pace
Grants for plastic surgery after weight loss are intended to save the lives of patients who have no access to medical care. These grants provide the funding necessary to pay for the treatment cost of obesity.
Weight Loss Surgery Foundation of America (WLSFA) – Grant Programs
People suffering from obesity can apply for grants through America’s Weight Loss Surgery Foundation.
- Full Grant Program
The entire grant program includes medical treatment for obesity and reconstructive surgeries. Firstly, surgeons refer patients in financial need. Then, they invite them to apply for financial assistance. Every year, the grants cycle starts on June 1.
- Partial Grant Program
It’s an ongoing process! However, patients with low financial needs can be referred to all surgeons part of the WLSFA Full Grant Program. This also includes co-pays, deductibles and fees below $4000. In short, insurance policies don’t cover these fees.
- Weight Loss Surgery Conference
Annual conference hosted by WLSFA that provides inspiration, motivation and education for those affected by obesity. This fundraiser is also hosted by WLSFA to support grant programs.
Weight Loss Plastic Surgery Grants from the WLSFA – Requirements
To receive a grant from the WLSFA, you must meet the following requirements:
- For weight loss or reconstruction surgery, you must have your approval.
- Either you should not have any insurance or have insurance that doesn’t cover all the costs.
National Institutes of Health (NIH) – Public Funder
The NIH is the largest funder of public funds to improve lives and reduce disability. Their grants allow people to live longer. They also help build the research base for new treatments and discoveries.
NIH – Grant Process
Follow these steps to submit a grant application.
- This Government Grants website will help you explore the various funding options and the eligibility requirements.
- Make sure you are familiar with all requirements. Select the submission option that is most convenient for you.
- Follow the instructions to complete the application form. Create a budget and attach all documents.
- Submit your application.
- You can check and verify that the attached documents accurately reflect what you submitted.
The Plastic Surgery Foundation (The PSF) to Support Research
The American Society of Plastic Surgeons has a commitment to high standards of research. It helps plastic surgeons to be innovators in medicine. These grant programs include:
1. Combined Pilot Research Grants: These grants can be used to support the development of surgeon scientists.
2. National Endowment for Plastic Surgery: Supports research projects and the advancement of tools for the highest patient care.
3. Pilot Research Grant: Intended to help junior faculty and residents. If a senior investigator is proposing a new idea or research, they can apply for these grants.
4. PSF Directed Research Grant (Breast Implant Safety): Made to study the complications and systemic illnesses that can occur during breast implants.
5. PSF Diversity and Inclusion: Made to help identify and develop potential tools, resources, and approaches for improving methods of plastic surgery.
6. PSF/MTF Biologics Allograft Tissue Research Grant: Support research that focuses on biologic repair or reconstruction.
7. PSF Translational and Innovation Research Grant: This funding is available for commercial development. The goal is to benefit patients and meet their unmet clinical needs.
8. Research Fellowships: Encourages academic career development as well as research in plastic surgery
Cosmetic Surgery Grant Program
Dr Harold Gillies Cosmetic Surgery Grants Program helps you pay less for your surgical procedures. The cost of plastic surgery for weight loss can be reduced up to 20% depending on the procedure.